White dots on mitsubishi tv screen

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bdozeraz

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015
I called and they would only offer the $200 deal. They wouldn't budge. The representative said I had 30 days to take it or leave it. I told them this was unacceptable and asked to speak to a supervisor. He told me I didn't need to speak to a supervisor because the supervisor was going to tell me the same thing. He then asked if there was anything else and told me to have a good day.

I can buy the chip and fix it myself for less than $200. I won't buy Mitsubishi again.

Jsardelli

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
No solution for me. I called Mitsubishi today regarding the white dot issue and they told me my tv is out of warranty and I wasn't even offered the $200 service repair. I wonder why you were offered the $200 deal? My tv is Model #WD 65734, purchased early 2008, which seems to be the same age group of others having this issue. Any thoughts?

Julie - Largo, FL

MARCMASEMAN

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015

sbchamps

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015
I just called Mitsubishi customer service and they are sending the part to the service center and they are fixing it. $200. TV was purchased in '08 with no extended warranty.

jrdubya

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
Found the part on shopjimmy and placed the order, cost $186. (i made the mistake of not reviewing this website before i ordered the part from shopjimmy). HOPE YOU HAVE READ THIS FORUM BEFORE YOU PLACE AN ORDER. The return fee for the part to shopjimmy is approx $50(20% restock plus freight). I have worked on tv's and computers before and not afraid to perform the service myself which is why i immediately went to the web and found the part and ordered it..
Now for the good news. I have a 65" DLP which i purchased in 2010, has a mfg date of 2009. Called Mitsubishi and spoke to customer service. Very helpful and when i noted that the dots existed on the splash screen(when you turn off the tv) and the dots remain and ultimately fade, they told me that is the easiest confirmation the chip(part) is going bad. They quoted me a price of $225.00 for the replacement part plus tax(if necessary) and service(minimum $200) to fix. I noted all the info i learned from everyone on these posts (THANK YOU) and the rep quickly said they would provide the product part at no charge and we would only be responsible for the service call ($200). So out of pocket is approx $250, the service install will be performed by an authorized Mitsubishi rep, guaranteeing the work and i paid out a little more than i should have due to my own mistake. Thanks again and hope you have the luck of reading this post

Tickedgeek11

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
I just contacted Mitsubishi about the TV I have that was manufactured in June of 2007 and they wanted me to pay at first $225 for the part. I told them I wanted it cheaper based on the testimonies online and that I was willing to sign the "waiver" to do so. They kept giving me the run around and so I asked for the supervisor, which first they said was unavailable after a 5 minute hold, but then came on. It was a guy named Arjun in Manilla, Philippines. After I told him what I wanted, he said he couldn't help me with this model because it was out of "way, way" out of warranty, something the first girl I spoke to kept saying over and over again (clearly part of a script). I could tell he kept putting me on mute and finally when I asked him why he wasn't trying to offer me anything better than the $225 deal, he said that wasn't even possible. When I asked why not, he said it would actually be $225 plus shipping and handling PLUS labor. Who knows how much that would be.

This seems to be the last straw on this. We really need to do that class-action lawsuit and get our money back and tv's fixed. Anyone else with me on this??

angowy

Estimable
Oct 2, 2015
After reading this forum, I gave Mitsubishi a call. I have a 73" TV manufactured June 2009. I gave them all of my info and they immediately offered to cover the cost of the part and to set up a service call. I'm happy to pay the pre-negotiated $200 service call fee. A new TV would cost so much more! I should have my TV fixed within a week. Thanks so much for creating this forum! I was fretting over spending tons of money for a new TV, when this one is only 6 years old.

big cubes

Estimable
Oct 23, 2015
I call Mitsubishi today about the white dots and the $200 deal. It was not as easy as I've been reading about on this thread. They didn't want to help me because I had no proof of purchase a receipt. it took 3 phone calls to 3 different people and demanding to speak to a manager which I never did was put on hold for a few minutes came back on and said that they would do it this time. I was on the phone for about 45 to 50 minutes. I had to be an a-hole because they were being one. I think this deal is coming to an end good luck.

hawaiiangirl2010

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This forum and thread was a godsend! We have a Mitsubishi model WD-82837 (82") rear projection manufactured in 2009, purchased 2010 and were experiencing the same white dot problem. We have a saying at our house, TO THE INTERNET! Found this wonderful forum and thread. I called Mitsubishi's number (800-332-2119) on Oct. 21st the customer service representative (CSR) informed me their system was down and if I could call back in a few hours. I politely called a few more times, waiting a hour between each call, same thing. Finally the CSR asked if I could call tomorrow around 7:00 AM. She was polite and apologized for the inconvenience. I was a bit skeptical but did as she requested and on the next morning the system was up again. I was asked about these things; do I have the name of the dealer we purchased from (no), did we purchase an extended warranty (no), and asked me to describe the problem. I was told this is a case by case decision but we qualified for replacement of the part at the pre-negotiated price of $200. She provided me with three local repair shops' numbers so I could call to see if they were going to charge me any extra fees, and then call her back to say who I wanted them to ship the part to. Happy to say no extra fees! The service shop was very friendly and familiar with the issue. Yesterday the repairman came and it took him about 45 minutes and now our TV screen has no more white spots! Hooray!! I can only imagine the amount of money we saved because of this information, so again I say "thank you"!

Oldflyerfan

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015
I just got off the phone with Mitsubishi about the white dot issue on my WD-73837 DLP that I bought back in 2009. The part will be sent to a local repair center and they will contact me when they get it to set up a repair appointment. It will cost me $200 plus tax. The rep was great to work with. Luckily, I had registered this unit when I bought it. I did have to get the lamp replaced once, but that was covered under the extended warranty about 2 years ago.

11/9/15
The technician just left the house after fixing my set.....the picture is better than ever. He said the new chip will improve the resolution and I can tell a difference. That was a quick fix.....I just called Mitsubishi last week!!

Kristi_2

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015
Call the customer service number 1-800-332-2119 with your Model number and Serial number. Tell them what you see on your screen. I am experiencing the same thing and after speaking with the representative she told me that they will cover the cost of the chip that needs replaced and all I have to do is pay a flat labor cost of $200 + tax and mileage if applicable. Works for me! Better than having to shell out $1000 plus for what the repair shop would charge for parts and labor... Very happy Mitsubishi owner right here!

joe chill

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015
The white dots from Mitsu-Land appeared on my TV about a month ago - now I have 10 and they're beginning to multiply like rabbits. I just called Mitsubishi - I bought my 65" DLP in May of 2010. I may have the receipt, but I have no idea where the heck it is. I told them where I bought it, when I bought it, gave them the serial number and model number...and they have a different name on file.

How in blue blazes THAT happened I have no idea - but they were complete asses on the phone. I don't know if the TV was bought by someone else and returned, if Mitsubishi screwed up, or ABC Warehouse screwed up. Regardless, I'm the one being bent over.

Told me I was out of luck. Even though I told them when and where it was purchased. I get they think perhaps I bought it off someone else...but why wouldn't I just say I was THAT person and have the freaking repair done? I can't - because I bought the darned thing NEW and don't know this "mystery person's" info. I asked the supervisor at Mitsubishi about that...she had no answer. I called ABC - luckily they have a copy of my receipt I can pick up.

Lesson learned - I'll start filling out those stupid cards that come with products when you buy them.

Oldflyerfan

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015

I too could not find my paperwork for my 73" DLP, but luckily, I had registered it when I bought the set....no problems getting it fixed. This was just a few days ago. Good luck getting to the bottom of your situation!!

11/9/15
The technician just left the house after fixing my set.....the picture is better than ever. He said the new chip will improve the resolution and I can tell a difference. That was a quick fix.....I just called Mitsubishi last week!!

MikenMel

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015
It's been about a month since the white dots appeared. Now they are up to 50 or so. Called the Mitsu tech line and they told me the unit was too old (made April 2008) and they wouldn't do the repair. Told me to contact a factory service center. I did and they quoted me $420 parts and labor for the repair. Tech said Mitsu stopped providing the replacement part at cost a couple of years ago. I can justify $200, but $420, I think I'll be looking for a new TV.

botons17

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015
I had a lot of white spots and let the problem go for a while (it was a TV we didn't use too often) and now the TV will not even turn on.

It seems that most people are replacing the DLP chip, but I've also heard that some people have just replaced the bulb. How exactly would I know which one is the issue?

Syamsm

Estimable
Nov 18, 2015
Hi, Thanks for this post. I had the same problem and when I called Mitsubishi they said they will cover the cost except for $200 service charge. I am waiting for the service guys to come but I think it is worth spending that money as I would have spent couple of hours taking the back out and if I don't install properly then I would have no other way. This is a much preferred option.
Syam