White dots on mitsubishi tv screen

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

paul maz

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
Thanks so much for this thread. Mitsubishi is still offering the free chip. Just had mine replaced today. Called the number listed here last week, had my serial and model numbers available. Answered a few questions. No extended warranty. TV about 4 years old. Tech came today and replaced the chip. No charge for the chip, $200 for the 20 minute service call. The tech said he replaces a lot of these. Its supposed to be a 1.5 hour service call but he's done so many of them, he blows them out in 20 minutes. TV is dot-free. He cleaned some stuff up inside and my wife and I swear the picture is much more vivid. All around, $200 well spent. Beats buying a new one!

The Darth Knight

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014

Looks like you'll be in the market for a new DLP/DMD Chip, my friend. I picked one up from shopjimmy.com and my TV was like new. If you search shopjimmy coupons you can find awesome codes I picked mine up ,with 2-day shipping, for $196. Installed myself with shopjimmy's video walk through, and banged it out in 18min flat! Super easy fix.

itsmendc

Estimable
Jun 12, 2014
Thank you soooooo much for sharing! I have the same thing happening to my television. I called the 800# and they were very accommodating. The customer service rep took my information, and has connected me with the Mitsubishi service company in my area. And yes...I only have to pay $200. I would rather let them fix it than watch a video and try it myself. Again, thanks!

msstacey

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
I too was offered the 200.00 deal. I still haven't received my service call yet to schedule my appointment but they said it could take a few days. If something goes wrong I'll be sure to let everyone know. As of now and if there are no gimmicks I think it is a very reasonable accommodation on their behalf considering I have no warranty. I could of had to buy a new tv that would have costed thousands!

Petcyiv

Estimable
Jun 26, 2014

Deediamond5

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Hi where on YouTube did you find the how to video to replace it

salsup

Estimable
Jul 9, 2014
I called Mitsubishi about my 7 year old model WD 65734 with the white dot problem. They are shipping the part for free and my cost is a flat $200 for labor. Excellent experience so far, got a call from the repair shop in less than an hour.

SuzSHHS

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014
Thank you for the post...Mitsubishi is setting up our repair for $200...cheaper than a new 65". Hope to love our TV all over again!!!!
Sadly we bought it on HGTV and that in the 6 years of owning it have had to replace the bulb and now the chip.

DDDavid

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
I just wanted to confirm what the other people have said. Thanks to reading this thread I called the 800 number for Mitsubishi shown below, explained that I had the white dots/black specs problem, and, though I bought my WD65737 TV in May 2009, they set up a repair with a local service company, said the charge would be the pre-arranged price of $200, and they would send the part to the service company near me. I got a call within an hour from the local company, and 3 days later they called to say they had the part. Just had the repair done 2 days later (July 31, 2014) and it took the guy almost 2 hours from start to finish to do the installation. Seems to be working as good as new now. Not happy that this happened, but glad to be able to fix it for $200. Hopefully it will last another 5 years. By then we might be ready for a new 4K replacement, and the prices will be a lot lower than they are now.

fredsox14

Estimable
Aug 14, 2014

thank you...great help

Seminole-Rich

Estimable
Aug 21, 2014

Thanks---My 73 " Mitzu has the white dots and I called the 800 number and Mitzu set everything up with a reputable TV repairman and will pay for the chip. I will gladly pay the $200 service fee as this TV is awsome. Thanks for letting me know as your post was very helpful. Rich-- in Seminole, Florida

opalk14

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
I just took the advice of everyone on this thread, called Mitsubishi customer service and they were very helpful. My new chip is on its way. I just hope it lasts, noone has posted otherwise. Keeping fingers crossed this will work for a long time. My husband was all excited thinking he was getting a new tv....sorry honey :)

ltwcomstock

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
There are too many consumers having the same problem with white dots appearing on the screen of the Mitsubishi TV. They are very aware of this problem and instead of only replacing the chip, which is faulty, they should bare the total expense which includes the installation cost of $200. This is a problem with the product. Mitsubishi should assume the total cost. That would be great customer service.

nagasama

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Call mitsubishi customer service.
The dmd chips in these tv's are defective and they know it.
even if your tv is out of warranty tell them about the dots and they will:
Offer to supply the chip free to a repair center and you have to pay 200 for the service call. Refuse this. Be polite yet firm and insist that they know the chips are defective and you shouldn't be responsible for any repair cost. They will put you on hold. When they come back on, they will offer the same deal as above, plus a free lamp. Refuse this as well, politely, and state again you feel as it is a defect in their product you shouldn't have to pay anything. They will put you on hold again, and when they come back they will tell you that if you sign a "waiver"(which is actually a settlement release, as they know the chips are bad), they will pay for chip and replacement labor. And they will set the appointment up for you. You may have to pay mileage or tax depending on how far away the nearest service center is.
I just did this last week. I have since received the settlement release and signed it and returned it, now I am waiting on the service company to contact me and schedule the appt. My tv is a 2008 wd65835, btw. Far far out of warranty.
Just be POLITE and firm, they will do and say EXACTLY as I am telling you. Stick to your guns and they will fix it for free.
I tried get them to send the chip directly to me but no dice. I know they have done it in the past for people, but probably only because there was no service center within hundreds of miles. I have 2 within forty miles of my house.
It will work if you follow my directions.
Fyi this took a total of about 10 minutes to accomplish.
Good luck!

Michael Draven

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
nagasama October 25, 2014 12:30:36 PM
nagasama
gerry d said:
i have 4 white dots on screen what can i do

"Call mitsubishi customer service.
The dmd chips in these tv's are defective and they know it.
even if your tv is out of warranty tell them about the dots and they will:
Offer to supply the chip free to a repair center and you have to pay 200 for the service call. Refuse this. Be polite yet firm and insist that they know the chips are defective and you shouldn't be responsible for any repair cost. They will put you on hold. When they come back on, they will offer the same deal as above, plus a free lamp. Refuse this as well, politely, and state again you feel as it is a defect in their product you shouldn't have to pay anything. They will put you on hold again, and when they come back they will tell you that if you sign a "waiver"(which is actually a settlement release, as they know the chips are bad), they will pay for chip and replacement labor. And they will set the appointment up for you. You may have to pay mileage or tax depending on how far away the nearest service center is.
I just did this last week. I have since received the settlement release and signed it and returned it, now I am waiting on the service company to contact me and schedule the appt. My tv is a 2008 wd65835, btw. Far far out of warranty.
Just be POLITE and firm, they will do and say EXACTLY as I am telling you. Stick to your guns and they will fix it for free.
I tried get them to send the chip directly to me but no dice. I know they have done it in the past for people, but probably only because there was no service center within hundreds of miles. I have 2 within forty miles of my house.
It will work if you follow my directions.
Fyi this took a total of about 10 minutes to accomplish.
Good luck!"

I just now got off the phone with customer support with Mitsubishi, and if you do EXACTLY what Nagasama says in his post below, you will get your TV fixed for free as you should... I can't say thank you enough to Nagasama!!!

MikeWilson3d

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
When I bought the TV, I totally understood that I would have to pay additional money to replace the lamp every few years. I just paid $200 to replace the lamp. But 3 months later to have these white dots... is this not a manufacturer's defect? Why am I paying anything to have this well documented TV defect repaired?

I don't get why many are so "excited" to pay $200 to fix this defect. Maybe it's because they thought they would have to pay much more to repair the TV and they don't want to replace it. But it may be a good idea to at least make a mental note - "I got to pay less than I thought for the repair, but I still had to pay to fix a faulty chip, so I won't be buying Mitsubishi in the future".

As for me, I'll not be buying ANY more Mitsubishi products. If a company won't stand behind their products, then I can "vote with my wallet" and support a company that doesn't make faulty products. (I realize it may be a challenge to find such a company, but it is still a valid goal.)

The other problem I have is knowing that after I sink $200 into fixing this manufacturer's defect, I'll also have to sink more money into another lamp. With long lasting, bright, and beautiful LED flat screens selling for under $1,000 now, it's hard to justify dumping more money into an old TV.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

TRENDING THREADS