White dots on mitsubishi tv screen

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CarlPianoTech

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

CarlPianoTech

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Mrbigmoneygrip you are incredible. I just called that number for Mitsubishi. My 65835 is 5 years old. They are sending the chip to the nearest service center who will call me in a week to schedule the repair. The cost to me will be around $200. I love this TV and would have had to replace it with the Aquos 70" for around $2000. Thank you so much for sharing this information in such a well organized manner.

kbankston

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Drslash33

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I have white and black vertical lines running the length of my screen and was told it was the dlp light engine which is $700 plus I would have to install it. Could this chip be the culprit here as well?

I'm sorry to tell you, but if you have 4 white dots now, soon you'll have hundreds of white dots multiplying like rabbits. I just went through the same thing but with a happy ending. Here is a message I posted elsewhere.

I recently confronted the same "multiplying white dots" problem with my 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP TV. It seemed most repair shops expected nearly $1000 to replace the light engine (with labor) which is absurd since it would cost me just a little more than that to simply buy another brand new TV of the same size and more up to date with LED, etc.

But, with a little research, I found there is a specific chip (manufactured by Teas Instruments) inside the light engine which is the cause of the problem. Generally these chips are costing about $299-325 but I bought mine over E-Bay for about $260 (new) from a very reputable rated dealer there, after I found the part number for the exact replacement chip for my particular brand and model TV (some different brands may even use identical chips, but they all look very similar anyway, so make sure you know the correct part number.) I even found a YouTube video showing another person replacing their chip which was very helpful to me.

To make a long story short, after removing the rear of my TV, disconnecting a half dozen wiring harnesses and removing just as many screws, I slid out the light engine (metal chasis) and sat it on my kitchen table. Then, I had to remove a cover hiding the circuit board where the chip was mounted (this was more tedious with very small screws and a few more wires to disconnect). Once I exposed the chip (which was mounted on the underside of the circuit board) it was simple to remove the chip with one turn of a retainer screw and plug the new chip in with another turn of the retainer screw.

I then proceeded to put everything back together. The only mistake I made was trying to test the TV before I reinstalled the back of the TV in place, because there is a safety mechanism which prevents the TV from working without the back in place.

Anyway, in less than 2 hours, I had my TV working like new again and the picture looks awesome and I feel like I've almost got a brand new TV again! By the way, I since found out my bulb has over 8000 hours of use which according to most reports is way beyond what is normally expected, so also through an EBAY dealer, I have bought another light bulb (new) for about $55 which is very easy to replace on my TV without even removing the back of my TV, but I'm going to wait until my original bulb burns out, because right now, I just couldn't ask for a better picture.

I was a little hesitant initially about spending nearly $300 for a replacement chip, not knowing for sure if I'd save my TV, but looking back now, I'm sure glad I did, although I can't promise everyone would be as lucky.
[/quotemsg]

RobinFlores24

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

I took the advice of the comments I read below and called 1-800-332-2119 (Mitsubishi) and they authorized a local dealer to send the chip to and when the dealer gets it they are going to give me a call to set up a time to come out and fix it. Mitsubishi payed for the chip and all I have to pay for is the labor. Which should only be around $200.00. Which is way cheaper than what we purchased the tv for and cheaper than buying a new one. When you call you will need the serial number and model of your tv. Its in the back right hand corner of your tv. Our fist white dot appeared about two weeks ago and we already have a second one coming on and off. I hope this helps. Good luck!!!

lucysusedautoparts

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Can you tell us what the name of the chip is if you know? Im not sure if I search for it as light engine chip or something else. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Please email me if you can at lucylucille5682@hotmail.com as I may loose this website.
Thank you very much!!!

feng7

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I have a 73 inch DLP purchased in 2008. The lamp was projected to burn out after approximately 1 1/2 years. I just replaced it with one purchased on eBay for $35 versus $99 from Mitsubishi. The white dots started appearing last year and I initially thought the pixels were burnt out like on a laptop display which are not fixable but have to be replaced. After the few white dots became hundreds of dots - both black and white, I was willing to trash the TV which costs $2000 in 2008. But the web saved the day - it is a problem with the DLP chip and not the screen. The chip is available on Amazon for a little over $200. Plus I found a 10 minute video on how to replace the chip. Then I decided to call Mitsubishi and they offered to provide a free replacement chip but I would have to pay a service repair person a $200 fee. Since my hands aren't very steady any more, I opted for the repair guy. It took about a week for Mitsubishi to ship the chip to the repair shop and they in turn called me to setup an appointment a couple of days later. 10 minutes after they arrived, the chip was replaced and the picture is brand, sparkling new.

Goodyear

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

rhody1984

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
How did you locate the exact chip (e.g. model #) you needed, and what was the name of the dealer?

Patticake59

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

rkutchuk

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
I just called Mitsubishi today for the multiplying white dot problem. Even though I bought my tv in2007 and id not purchase an extended warranty, when I told them what the problem was they immediately offered the free replacement chip with a $200 service fee payable to a local repair shop to install the part. I did not even have to ask this was their offered solution. Thanks for the info!!

swift4web

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Very great full for you sharing your adventure... Could you please share vendor and the way you identified which chip?

cm718ny

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
For me, the hardest part of getting this problem solved, was waiting the 30 minutes for Mitsubishi to pick up the phone! After that, it took only 5 minutes for the rep to apologize & relay my problem to a local repair co. to come & replace the faulty chip (for a $200 service charge)...which I will happily pay...! Thank you Tom's Hardware!

Mayod

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Thank you thank you thank you. We have two dots now. Called Mitsubishi this morning and got the same deal. $200 set labor and they supply the part. We thought our 73" was on its way out but thanks to everyone it has new life

Scuba buff

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I just called Mitsubishi as many have suggested in this thread. Will be getting my Mitsubishi fixed for a $200 flat fee, no work on my part required. Awesome stuff, many thanks to all that posted!

Jessica1983

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

Idk but if u find out please let me know. I have 65 inch and noticed 1 white spot last night and now there is 2 wht is goin on?

sheila a

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014

Warpigs69

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
This is 100% percent true , I have had 2 white dots for a while and they are starting to multiply. I finally called the number listed in this thread I was on hold for 20 mins or so and finally pressed 1 for the option to leave name for a call back. They called me back in about 15 mins . It was really simple I told the lady my serial number and model number , and the problem about white dots . She told me what the problem was and asked how long ive had the tv and where we bought it. She asked if I had the extended warranty as the tv is 6 yrs old I said no and she said no problem. She told me they would replace the part and I had to pay a 200.00 flat fee for labor . When I said ok she said some repair shops want to be paid up front, she put me on hold and came back saying the part was ordered and shipped to the repair shop. She said it would take 7-10 days I said ok and hung up didnt have to pay anything. About 20 mins later the phone rung and it was the repair shop , that lady told me the part was ordered and it would be there in 4 days and all I had to pay was the 200.00 flat labor charge . This was all done about 4 hours ago , I will post an update when the repair people come and fix it. If you have this problem call mitsubishi and have it fixed for 200 bucks...