Who Designed This Crap? The Great Ipod Scam

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Personally, I think the best reason to avoid the iPod and most other players out there is the inability to play back albums without inserting pops or gaps between songs. Whether it's a live album, Pink Floyd or POE, if a song segues to the next song on the album, I expect my DAP to do the same.

So far, very few do that, though I think some rockbox firmwares implement that feature.

I will completely agree with you on this.... ipod and virtually all other MP3 players ive used do this unfortunately

it's a problem that when a CD is written, they can say, hey.. no gap between the songs

when you rip them to file.. the tracks are still considered individual files. the player has no way of knowing if it's all meant to be one album or not

I think they should just add the option to the firmware to allow for didfferent gap sizes

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks,
I will try emusic.

I do agree though Something happend in the past 10 years that killed music. I don't think elete small bands rise to the top anymore and clubs arn't cool anymore (there are many theories)

popeye1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Wow, this article is written by the biggest cry baby ever.

A) You're an idiot if you download music from itunes.

B) Get a case.... it's not that hard.

zeekle

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I bought a Sandisk e140 1GB for $80 and it beats my budddies Ipod Nano for five main reasons:

1) No software required. All I have to do is drag and drop my songs through Explorer
2) Built-in FM Radio
3) SD Slot for expandability
4) Replaceable battery
5) Doubles as a thumbdrive in a bind

The purpose of the article is the same thing I've been telling people: Don't buy an Ipod because it's cool. Do some research and see what's out there. If you do buy an Ipod, don't gripe to me because your music is locked up in Itunes while my music (all ripped from original cd's) isn't locked into one program. Plus, for the money, there are better mp3 players out there.

1) you can rip your CDs outside of itunes and still dump them to your ipod
2) my nano is used as a big thumbdrive in a pinch.

My question to you is this.. is there a 4gb player out there about the size of a nano or smaller that has equal or better sound quality at or less than 249?

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
First: You had scratches on your second day? Man, you should keep care of your iPod more than what you are doing. I have no scratches on my 5G iPod and I have had it long after 2 days. You are right, that isn't an iPod nano but you know what? It doesn't matter as it is the same material.

He's not talking about your 5g iPod, he's talking about the Nano. FYI, there's now a class action suit because of this issue. It's been widely reported and stories first appeared no more than 2-3 weeks after the Nano came out.

Second: Yes, it would hurt if they released the size specs of the nano before hand. As that would mean that they would of practically announced it before it was available. It is always better to announce a new product that is "shipping today". Makes the company look good.

You have them suppliers sign an NDA (just like you have the company(ies) that manufactures the iPods). And even if it leaked, all that is leaked is a size. No features, no release date nothing. In the end, however, the problem was the Nano's easilly scratched casing, not the lack of a protective case to cover it.

Third: You have 5 computers to play your music on? Dang nice! You are so rich, you had your secretary write the article.

Hard drives crash and files become corrupted. Make no mistake things like that will happen over time. It's not hard to believe that you could eventually lose access to songs you bought. It's an argument for buying CDs instead of from iTunes or, I assume, any number of sites that sell WMA files.

Ninth: There is a radio for the iPod too. Do more research please.

Is it built in? I'm certain he was talking about a built in FM tuner. Personally, I find such things useless. If I liked Clear Channel radio, I wouldn't need a DAP.

[quote
Tenth: The iPod has a rechargeable batteries so you don't need to replace them. But if you are talking about the battery eventually loosing it's recharge cycles, then (1) All rechargeable batteries are like that including your cell phone and other rechargeable mp3 players. (2) When your battery can't hold a charge anymore, you can easily send your iPod in to get it replaced from Apple using Apple's easy to use support website.
[/quote]

User replaceable is always better. Buying batteries from the manufacturer (or in this case actually having to get them to replace it for you) is far mor expensive than buying an OEM version at radioshack, Frys, Amazon or one of the many site that specialize in aftermarket Lithium batteries. Let's face it, if you have to pay $50.00 to replace a battery, you'll probaby end upgetting another player (because your player won't be worth 50 bucks in 3-5 years).

ExaByte

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Third: You have 5 computers to play your music on? Dang nice! You are so rich, you had your secretary write the article.

Eighth: Of course Apple wants to make as much money as possible. They are a corporation in capitalist America. Their job is to make money. If you don't like it, you can go to where ever communism still exists in the world.

ROTFL :D :D
You see the contradiction here.....Gullable ppl are soooo funny.

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I will completely agree with you on this.... ipod and virtually all other MP3 players ive used do this unfortunately

it's a problem that when a CD is written, they can say, hey.. no gap between the songs

when you rip them to file.. the tracks are still considered individual files. the player has no way of knowing if it's all meant to be one album or not

I think they should just add the option to the firmware to allow for didfferent gap sizes

The Rio Karma does it with MP3, ogg vorbis, WMA (I think) and flac.

Actually, if you play back virtually any format in windows media player (and most others software players, I suspect) they have no problem with gapless. I believe RCA's lyra was also capable of doing gapless.

The company that bought the Intellecual Property, SigmaTel, from Rio's parent company is now selling firmware that supports gapless. I also believe that whatever company Apple just signed up with also supports gapless. Whether or not Apple will support it is unknown. I'm certain that they will not back prop this feature to older players, even if it was possible.

Apple will advertise it as a revolutionary new feature, even though it's been around for at least 2 or 3 years. People that want it will upgrade.

I'm happy with my Karma....the only reason I wanted a DAP was to play back my music gaplessly. I've never bought a music file and won't until they offer them ina lossless format (for the same price).

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Tenth: The iPod has a rechargeable batteries so you don't need to replace them. But if you are talking about the battery eventually loosing it's recharge cycles, then (1) All rechargeable batteries are like that including your cell phone and other rechargeable mp3 players. (2) When your battery can't hold a charge anymore, you can easily send your iPod in to get it replaced from Apple using Apple's easy to use support website.

That is one of the worst things to have to do. Oh the battery died, just send it back and we will replace it for you. I avoid anything that cannot be converted to or use standard rechargeable batteries like AA or AAA. I use Amateur radios and before purchasing make sure that they accept DC input and a shell for AA batteries. Why? Because the battery pack sells for 70+ bucks and I can make one that is better for 20. So if you like throwing away your money on batteries, go for it.

Concerning trips and such with the iPod, what about charging? Most people forget to charge and then cannot. I'm talking about school trips where there is no access to a charging port. With simple players that just use a AA or AAA you can purchase one at any convenient store. And don't talk about how these accessories are sold for it that allow for X because it just adds up to more money for a stupid battery. And you do sound like a salesman for Apple. The iPod seemed like a good player until I saw that. No way will I pay that to get a battery replaced.

Enough about my battery complaints because iPod isn't the only one I hate, there are others but at least they are user replaceable.

superbrett2000

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I like the iPod but hate DRM music. My solution? Just buy CDs! CD prices seem to be reasonable these days (I'm finding them for about $10 these days). For the same price I could buy a complete album off of iTunes or any other music site or I could buy a CD that comes not only in a protective case for an actual CD, but you typically get a nice little book with it too. Rip the CD to your computer and you have DRM free music.

Couldnt you in theory just burn your purchased iPod music to CD and then rip it like a normal CD? Wouldnt that process get rid of the ugly DRM?

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
never make the argument that replacable disposable batteries such as AA's or AAA's are more cost effective than rechargable built in ones. it's dumb

how many batteries do you go through with your thing?

at the average price of 8 - 10 bucks for a 4 pack of Triple A's of a decent brand.

1 AAA will give you 20ish hours of playback... sooo you'll be buying a new pack every other week?

I replaced my Third Gen ipod battery for 30 bucks after 2 years

cost effectiveness isnt there. plus Hard Drive based MP3 players require a LOT more juice than your standard battery puts out

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Couldnt you in theory just burn your purchased iPod music to CD and then rip it like a normal CD? Wouldnt that process get rid of the ugly DRM?

You can, but it's not a very desirable option. CD->Lossy Codec (say AAC) = lower quality sounds. AAC-> CD = same sound as AAC. So if you now go back to AAC (or MP3) from there, you degrade the sound further.

The way to go is just buy CDs. Alas, convenience is winning out over quality. I'll stick with CD's.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
The option to use alkaline batteries is there. I don't use the alkaline batteries very much but instead use 2500 mAh AA rechargeable batteries for my "thing." My HT also drains over 1 amp at full power, way more than a player. The main point is convenience to use the option of simple and widely used batteries. If you are happy with your expensive Li-Ion batteries, be happy for it, but I will continue to use cheaper and better batteries.

Plus with enough AA rechargeable batteries, I can run an external 3.5 HDD for well over an hour (never needed it longer than that).

killersnowman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
omg! thank the lord! every time i hear people start talking about how they want to get a new ipod i cringe and i ask them why. of course they have no i dea why they want to get one, so i usually help them out. i say that they have been brain washed by the multi million dollar ad campaign that every other brand of mp3 player seems to be missing.

so i would like to thank the people who be for having alowed this article to be published cause it is a problem.

for anyone looking for some nice easy to use beautiful mp3 players go ahead and check out iRiver... yeah i know its got the little "i" but they are leeps and bounds ahead of the ipod in both functionality and usability. in fact the thing i like the most about mine is that it came with software and yet i choose not to use it because when you plug it in with a usb cable it acts as a usb mass storage drive and i can have direct access to all the space on the drive and organize and transfer all the file i want by drag and drop. really really nice

and dont get me started on how you cant download quiktime with that damn itunes shit!

fucking apple

oldsaw

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
The biggest ripoff is that purported bargain of $0.99 for a "song" of perhaps four minutes: That's over $16.00 for a full CD of such noise.. That's the price of a lot of premium CDs, and sometimes it will buy you a twin CD pack. Telarc sells their singles for $10.00, and Naxos discs sell for $8.00 or sometimes $7.00. These are full discs of real music by real composers and performed by real ensembles of real musicians. Hello! As for Mr. Jobs, he is not so much of an oldtimer as to be able to remember the time when transistor radios were the cats' meows of the electronics world, but he still seems to have his attention fixed on them. Think about it, folks: what do you get when you add wireless capabilities to an ipod - a "transistor radio" and one that's even neater than the kind Steve had as a kid. There is a tragedy unfolding here (and I can say that because a tragic hero must once have been a noble man): This same man who in the vigor of his youth was responsible for placing computers in every home and on every office desk has now in his dotage turned that once-noble company's attention to the realm of "transistor radios".

stevejobs

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
You all and the authour sound like a bunch of whining babies! Lets be real the only reason you do not have an iPod is u are doing your best to not own one for some ridiculous personal reason. Don't worry you will soon be assimilated the ipod borg is unstoppable. Succumb to your desires and get one, you are getting sleepy.....zzzzzz! Anyway get over it DORKS! I have owned one of each ipod except the nano and they are by far best of breed. Stop hating.

Enjoy

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

That is one of the worst things to have to do. Oh the battery died, just send it back and we will replace it for you. I avoid anything that cannot be converted to or use standard rechargeable batteries like AA or AAA. I use Amateur radios and before purchasing make sure that they accept DC input and a shell for AA batteries. Why? Because the battery pack sells for 70+ bucks and I can make one that is better for 20. So if you like throwing away your money on batteries, go for it.

Concerning trips and such with the iPod, what about charging? Most people forget to charge and then cannot. I'm talking about school trips where there is no access to a charging port. With simple players that just use a AA or AAA you can purchase one at any convenient store. And don't talk about how these accessories are sold for it that allow for X because it just adds up to more money for a stupid battery. And you do sound like a salesman for Apple. The iPod seemed like a good player until I saw that. No way will I pay that to get a battery replaced.

Enough about my battery complaints because iPod isn't the only one I hate, there are others but at least they are user replaceable.

Oh, I see. You don't pay for a battery....What do u do when your cellphone battery goes out? Put 2xAA in it with a hammer? And call Nokia to pay for the 2AA?

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
The option to use alkaline batteries is there. I don't use the alkaline batteries very much but instead use 2500 mAh AA rechargeable batteries for my "thing." My HT also drains over 1 amp at full power, way more than a player. The main point is convenience to use the option of simple and widely used batteries. If you are happy with your expensive Li-Ion batteries, be happy for it, but I will continue to use cheaper and better batteries.

Plus with enough AA rechargeable batteries, I can run an external 3.5 HDD for well over an hour (never needed it longer than that).

But you're portraying 2500mah NMH batteries as cheap, and they're not. Most people will pay $13.00 for 4 batteries (shipped). They'll probably need more than 4 to get the same amount of use as a Lion battery. NMH Batteries are still subject to memory (though far less than cadmium) and break down faster when used under heavy loads (which almost certainly includes DAP use).

Regardless, if I can replace my Lion for 30 bucks or less in 3 years, my savings over NMH is at most 20 bucks and probably less.

I can see your point if you're on the road where there is no power to recharge batteries, but in that case, you're not going to use NMH batteries, because even when not used, they lose their charge relatively fast(50% faster than Cadmium, which is already has a high discharge rate) and that rate is even higher in warm climates.

Where i see an advantage for NMH is if you are a light user of your DAP. LION batteries break down based on age, not the number of charge cycles, though even there, LION has the advantage in that you know if you charged your battery 3 weeks ago, the battery retained most of that charge, while the NMH needs a charge before you go.

So you may save some money with NMH, but assuming you can change it yourself, the savings isn't huge (especially when amortized over the life of the battery) and for most it's less convenient.

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
You all and the authour sound like a bunch of whining babies! Lets be real the only reason you do not have an iPod is u are doing your best to not own one for some ridiculous personal reason. Don't worry you will soon be assimilated the ipod borg is unstoppable. Succumb to your desires and get one, you are getting sleepy.....zzzzzz! Anyway get over it DORKS! I have owned one of each ipod except the nano and they are by far best of breed. Stop hating.

Enjoy

Rio's Karma was better than the iPod in almost every way, except sales and arguably looks.

Which had quantitatively better sound? Karma
Which could play back a classical piece without gaps between tracks? Karma
Which allowed you to add songs to a playlist on the fly? Karma
Which had the best EQ? Karma...it has a parametric eq.

The only audio feature that the iPod has that Karma does not is AAC (which is useless if Apple doesn't license fairplay to other companies) and Audible book support.

Both interfaces are good. I know many who love the iPod interface and I know many who hate the the touch wheel. I could use either.

Trust me, I looked at the iPod, but lack of gapless support was a deal killer.

PeterBates

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Sure don't know were you got that you could only burn one copy. From Apple: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/legal/terms.html last updated on Oct 7th, 2005.

Usage Rules

Your use of the Products is conditioned upon your prior acceptance of the terms of this Agreement.

You shall be authorized to use the Products only for personal, noncommercial use.

You shall be authorized to use the Products on five Apple-authorized devices at any time.

You shall be entitled to export, burn (if applicable) or copy Products solely for personal, noncommercial use. You shall not be entitled to burn Video Products.

You shall be authorized to burn an audio playlist up to seven times.

You shall be able to store Products from up to five different Accounts on certain devices, such as an iPod, at a time.

So where do you get 1 burn? Want to do more than 7 copies of a playlist? Just make a change to it and you are good to go. Please get your facts straight before you rant.