Solved! Whole House Audio some speakers not working

May 16, 2018
We have recently moved into a new house that has 6 zones or rooms with two in-ceiling speakers in each room. I have sound but in most rooms (I think 5) only one of the speakers will produce sound. I removed the speakers from one room, switched them and have found out is it not the speaker but the wiring. Speakers are powered by an amp, could the wires be connected wrong on the back of the amp? Could the wiring be damaged somewhere in the ceiling? How is the best way to find out? Could there be another problem?

Solution
You don't describe the electronics or whether there is a keypad or volume control in each room.
It's less likely for the problem to be the speakers or speaker wiring than in the electronics.
Since you only have one channel working overall there may be a problem with the amp. If its a two channel amp that drives all the speakers with a speaker selector or impedance matching volume controls it could have a bad channel or the input cable or source selector could be bad.
If it's a multichannel amp then it's less likely for one amp channel in each room to be bad. Look to the source or cables connecting it.
The installer may have left contact info where all the wires home run to. They often do that so new homeowners can find them for repairs...

acmegamers97

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Hi there chefblakestembride,

I will be happy to assist you here today. First of all I have a question "are your wirings plugged in a same switch?"-- If it is then please try plugging each speaker on other sockets. Well if it isn't the case then try connecting your speaker with laptops, desktops or on your TV's. This may solve the issue.

Well if you are still experiencing some issues then just reply to this thread I will be here to assist you here again.

Warm Regards,
Acme Gamer

May 16, 2018
Per zone there are 4 wires going into the back of the amp. Red, Black, White and Green. Per zone one speaker works and one does not. I switched the two speakers and the one that did not work, did work when connected to the wires of the speaker that originally worked so I do not think it is a speaker issue. It has to be a source issue but the wires are connected correctly as far as I can tell.

acmegamers97

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Hi there chefblakestembride,

I will be happy to assist you again. Well as you said that "there are 4 wires going back to the amp and the both speaker works only after changing the wires". The problem I'm seeing is neither in your wires nor your speaker. The problem is that your wires only support one speaker per head. So the solution to this problem is to buy another cable for your speaker.

May this solve your problem if you are still experiencing any issues then please reply to this thread I will be happy to assist you again.

Warm Regards,
Acme Gamer

kanewolf

Judicious
I think you need to find the model of the amp so that we can see a user's manual for it. Four wires could be enough to drive stereo speakers, but unless we can see a user's manual and know what the connections on the back of the amp are there is no way to know.

You don't describe the electronics or whether there is a keypad or volume control in each room.
It's less likely for the problem to be the speakers or speaker wiring than in the electronics.
Since you only have one channel working overall there may be a problem with the amp. If its a two channel amp that drives all the speakers with a speaker selector or impedance matching volume controls it could have a bad channel or the input cable or source selector could be bad.
If it's a multichannel amp then it's less likely for one amp channel in each room to be bad. Look to the source or cables connecting it.
The installer may have left contact info where all the wires home run to. They often do that so new homeowners can find them for repairs or updates.

Solution