Why can't I get my webcam to work?

TallGuy99

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
I have recently purchased a used Toshiba Satellite L305D and I can not get the webcam to work. I searched the Start menu and there wasn't anything there to turn the camera on. I called the guy I bought the laptop from and he gave me a link to download the driver. Upon doin that, I get the menu that comes up on the left hand side of the screen. But every time I go to use it, I get a message saying 'Webcam oped driver fail. Please restart camera or computer.' I do that and it still comes up with this message. What gives? How can I fix it? It works for Skype but I can't get it to turn on to take pics.

Solution
Never mind on that lid issue. I forgot that we can get the webcam to work in skype.

Try uninstalling the webcam software and reinstalling it using this link:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/util_camera_27128C.exe

that is the link for the camera software and driver.

If that doesnt work - do you have the recovery disks for the computer? As mentioned above you may want to wipe it out and start over from scratch. This will ensure a clean installation of the drivers and software. As mentioned above. I can help you find the CD's if you dont have them with your computer.

TallGuy99

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
The guy I bought it from is an IT guy. He repairs laptops and computers for a living. I'm not that computer literate to go and wipe the OS. I just wanna know why that message keeps popping up.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
If the webcam is working in skype, then the webcam is working.

It sounds like you want to be able to take pictures with your webcam. Is this correct?

If that is the case, then you will need the software that allows you to take a store pictures. Search through the programs menu for the WEBCAM COMPANION software. This is usually in the start menu under Toshiba Apps.

Your computer is a L305D - XXXXXX what are the other digits after that? I will look up your specific computer and see what software we can find for it to allow you to take pics. There should be tons of different software out there, and I bet toshiba has it for free on their website.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I did some research on your particular issue. The issue that you are experiencing with the error message is the webcam utility manager. I now understand that this is the software that allows you to take pictures and what not.

Try uninstalling Silverlight software from the computer. Once you uninstall microsoft silverlight, uninstall the webcam software and the webcam driver.

Once you have both installed, make sure to restart the machine. Go ahead and reinstall the camera driver, and the camera software and see if it works. I did read that this issue is cause by silverlight updates within windows. Its a long shot, but its worth a try. If this doesnt repair the issue, then we will move on to the next thing.

The software I was going to look for was the camera utility software, which is apparently what you have installed and are using when you get the error: "webcam open driver fail?"

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
While I understand it doesn't appear to have silverlight installed, lets give this a shot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608523

That fix it link is a program that will find and remove silverlight from your computer. If its installed, it will remove it for you. Go ahead and run that to clean it up. If it doesn't find any silverligt files to remove, please let me know.

Ok, I researched your topic a little more and found something interesting. A lot of people are discussing the possibility that the webcam has a hardware malfunction that the cable shorts out when the laptop is opened passed a certain point. Try closing the lid 50-80% of the way and see if the webcam opens up then. One person mentioned that the lid had to be closed 80% plus to get it to close the entire way. Give this a go and lets see what you come up with.

If that doesnt work, I have some more ideas, but we will take it one step at a time.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Have you tried reinstalling the driver following toshiba's guidelines?

Re-install the driver for the webcam:

Procedure

Follow these steps to re-install the driver for the webcam. You will need to be logged in as an Administrator or have an Administrator password ready.

1. Click the Windows Start button.

2. Click Control Panel, System and Maintenance and then Device Manager.

3. Right-click on Chicony USB 2.0 Camera and select Update Driver Software. A yellow exclamation point indicates that the camera is recognized by Windows but is not working properly, probably because of problem with the device driver

4. Select Browse my computer for the driver software.

5. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select USB Video Device from the list, and click Next.

7. If the message “Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device” appears, click Close.

8. Restart Windows.

The webcam should now work properly.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Ok. This is kind of tedious because I am not there to actually manipulate the computer. Did you try closing the lid too? I read that A LOT of people had issues where the lid would have to be closed for it to work. I understand you cannot use it closed, but at least it will help us rule out the possibility of it being software related.

TallGuy99

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
I did yer recommendation about the Start menu,. I still get the same message about restarting the camera or computer. I dunno how I would even be able to try and start anything with the lid closed.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Never mind on that lid issue. I forgot that we can get the webcam to work in skype.

Try uninstalling the webcam software and reinstalling it using this link:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/util_camera_27128C.exe

that is the link for the camera software and driver.

If that doesnt work - do you have the recovery disks for the computer? As mentioned above you may want to wipe it out and start over from scratch. This will ensure a clean installation of the drivers and software. As mentioned above. I can help you find the CD's if you dont have them with your computer.

Solution