Why Curved TVs Will Leave You Flat Broke

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Distinguished
The most annoying thing about curved screens is that you need to sit near the focal point for the best result, which effectively dictates exactly where you must sit. Sitting anywhere else will make perceived deformation worse than a flat screen.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
@FFH Exactly my thoughts. Although they are pushing 4k down our throats just because the market all saw 3D tvs as a stupid thing and didn't drink the 3d koolaide.

dark_wizzie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
The most annoying thing about curved screens is that you need to sit near the focal point for the best result, which effectively dictates exactly where you must sit. Sitting anywhere else will make perceived deformation worse than a flat screen.
True but would this work for desktop gaming? I sit at the same exact place every time I game so my head is never moving.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
True but would this work for desktop gaming? I sit at the same exact place every time I game so my head is never moving.
why would you waste the money when you could just pick up 2-3 cheap monitors for the same experience?

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
4K isn't where it is at. Television broadcasts are at best 720p, a few exceptions are sporting events broadcast at 1080i.There is no studio offering 4K content yet, Sony has a subscription based service right now - but not all of it is native 4K content, most of it is upscaled.4K doesn't have a place in your livingroom, but on your desk I could argue that it does.

bimbam360

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
Meh, curve,4k,3d, smart, all a crock to refresh and thus charge more for technology that has provided fundamentally the same service for years.Google 'does 4k resolution matter' and you'll see why it is a complete waste of money on anything sub ~80' in a standard lounge. Combine that with a lack of content (or even better, content that is claimed to be 4k but you won't know any better for the reason stated above) and the huge premiums you pay, it makes more sense to spend your money on a huge flat 1080 screen, or buy a DLP projector (room permitting).I had a ~100", 720 screen (which still looked fantastic) for 500 notes. Just sucks my new house is too bright.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
There was a big push to move away from curved screens in the 90's because the sucked. Why would I want to go back?
The old CRT's were curved the other way. There was no optimal viewing on them. With the new curved TV's, if you are centered, it makes every pixel on the screen the same distance to your eyes as the next, but as mentioned, if you are not centered, then it may not be as good as flat. I'll pass, but it is not the same as those back in the CRT days.

Geef

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
why would you waste the money when you could just pick up 2-3 cheap monitors for the same experience?
So to resolve both of the problems you guys mentioned I'd say once they make a 4K Curved screen then it will be great for people using computers. :)

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
It's amusing to me that the highest res video content mostly is available only online.
A monitor version of this would work. Computers are mostly used by a single person at a time

reactive

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Just more of the same marketing crap. 3D was a stop-gap con to keep sales going until they could get 4K yield / prices down, and now we have 4K to do the same. A curved screen is just another case of "because we can". I sat in front of one in a department store, and it is so unnatural to look at that it rapidly becomes unpleasant to watch.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
I'm not sure if the technology is at a point where this would work. When sitting 10 feet from a TV, a screen needs less of a curve to achieve what Samsung is touting as the benefit of curved screens. The curve for sitting 10-12 INCHES would have to be notable more extreme, and I don't know if current manufacturing process can create such a curve. Besides, PC gaming is quickly moving the VR route, which would make a curved screen largely irrelevant, and using a PC for anything else would make curve a hindrance.

Samy421

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
What about 200 inches screen in 1080p for only.... 750 USD ? Impossible I hear you say...That would be the best bang for the buck, we all agree ?Try googling Benq W1070 ...VIDEOPROJECTORS ! Videoprojectors are now mature products and my guess is that they will conquer more and more market share in the future. They now offer fantastic picture quality. The only down with videoprojector is that you have to forecast to buy a new lamp every 5000 hours or so.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
What about 200 inches screen in 1080p for only.... 750 USD ? Impossible I hear you say...That would be the best bang for the buck, we all agree ?Try googling Benq W1070 ...VIDEOPROJECTORS ! Videoprojectors are now mature products and my guess is that they will conquer more and more market share in the future. They now offer fantastic picture quality. The only down with videoprojector is that you have to forecast to buy a new lamp every 5000 hours or so.
Nothing will make a projector bright enough for your average living room with windows and lights. They're by far the best choice for home theatres, but a LOT of planning or a basement is required to get a particularly good picture. Normal TV's have insane backlighting that can overpower other light sources and are closer to the actual pictures, so it isn't as likely to get washed out as projectors.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
"The Xbox One doesn't currently support 4K, but Microsoft told Tom's Guide that the Xbox One "will support 4K games and entertainment" via a software upgrade."I find it annoying that Microsoft consistently gets away with lying. You won't be playing games at 4K on the Xbox One, you can't even play Titanfall at 720p!

Samy421

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.