Why Do Android Phones Need Rooting?

Heenan73

Estimable
Dec 20, 2014
Like many people, my Android phone has limited memory, but I cannot move apps to the SD card - though many have that option, but 'greyed out'.

I've seen all the instructions for rooting, and may do so, but my question is WHY?

I can understand why they don't want you to download things and bypass their 'hub' (however silly that might be!), but I cannot understand why they deny you access to your memory.

Why do manufacturers allow you install an SD card, but allow it to stay virtually empty, while the phone constantly whines "memory full"?

Doesn't make sense to me. Thanks!

(NB I have searched without success for an answer, but I'm happy to be referred to a previous answer if you know of one!)

Heenan73

Estimable
Dec 20, 2014

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question, which is about WHY manufacturers impose that kind of restriction in the first place.

As I said, it may be that moving certain apps can crash your device, or lead to confusion. Does it affect all apps? If not, there's your answer.

Carriers also tend to have an extreme aversion to bugs, or anything that could be a bug. For example, if you try to open an app installed to the SD card within a few tens of seconds of booting, the SD card may not be mounted yet. You'll get an 'App not installed' error, which can confuse people. It may be easier to make these impossible than to staff the call centre further to deal with the extra calls.

joessmithy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
In my research, stemming from the same frustration, it seems that some apps have security in mind, both for you and their app. Their motive being that they don't want you to purchase and download onto the sd card then remove it and share it, or modify it on a computer. Also, like my banking app, they prefer not to have your identifying info on a removable component. I would probably have downloaded and even kept many more apps than I have now, if so much google bloat wasn't hindering installation. I uninstalled (by uninstalling updates) some google services, (though some are necessary), and use native services to the phone manufacturer, although I would prefer to use the Android stuff... I freed up almost a gig getting rid of only 4 android services. Experiment to see what you really need.

CallahanUSA

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Re: Why root..? (Heenan73)

"Rooting" your device allows you "root", or SuperUser access. Device manufacturers don't want customers having this "privilege" because most people are stupid, and would alter the device data rendering it inoperative, and also negates your warranty. Rooting, gives the user control. My Nexus device doesn't have an external SD card because Google has become evil and wants all data stored with them so they may mine it, provide it to the government, and prevent any future monopoly suits. However with a rooted device I have all the memory I need. My device is smoking fast, and battery use, as well as charging time is optimal. I subscribe to the "take apart>break>learn something>flash recovery" school of device software manipulation.

Those who weild their SuperUser abilities with discretion and prowess, find it a compulsory capability for dumping useless google system apps, flashing ROMs, Over-Clocking CPU/GPU, experimenting, and many other activities needed to fine-tune our devices.

Download Wug's Toolkit, to your PC, it is a brilliant, and donation-worthy tool for rooting, unlocking your bootloader, installing a recovery, and making a backup, all easily done by following his instructions. Once you do root your device, MAKE A BACKUP IMMEDIATELY. I break my device several times a week, and simply "Restore" the backup (through TWRP Manager App) when I have a problem. This has enabled me to go from stupid, to not-quite clueless, in the fascinating world that is Android.

FatXmas

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
Try

Tom's GuideForumCell Phone General DiscussionHow to set my Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 to automatically download apps from Google Play on my SD Card