Why do I only get audio from a DVD with a HDMI connection to my RX A860

JackCFI

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
I just purchased a RX A860 and I'm using a component video connection to an older TV which works great. In hooking up a DVD player using a HDMI cable I only get audio, no video. I tried using the second set of component connections on the Receiver and get a ghost image on the TV. Any idea what I am doing wrong

Solution
Your receiver may convert component video to HDMI but doesn't likely convert HDMI to component video so no picture but you get sound.
You say you tried to use the second set of component connection on the receiver. Does that mean that the DVD has component video out? That should have worked if you set the receiver correctly in the input setup menu. Check that. Try changing the video output setting of the DVD. Some can be set for RGB (same as VGA) or YPbPr (component video)..
If your TV doesn't have HDMI you may need an HDMI to component video plus audio converter.
If the DVD has a digital audio output then connect that to the receiver rather than the analog audio of the converter since it will give you better sound.
Your receiver may convert component video to HDMI but doesn't likely convert HDMI to component video so no picture but you get sound.
You say you tried to use the second set of component connection on the receiver. Does that mean that the DVD has component video out? That should have worked if you set the receiver correctly in the input setup menu. Check that. Try changing the video output setting of the DVD. Some can be set for RGB (same as VGA) or YPbPr (component video)..
If your TV doesn't have HDMI you may need an HDMI to component video plus audio converter.
If the DVD has a digital audio output then connect that to the receiver rather than the analog audio of the converter since it will give you better sound.

Solution