Question Why does my Onkyo TX-8220 Keeps Shutting Off on Phono?

Apr 23, 2020
This amplifier has a protective circuit function, but maybe it is too sensitive?

The amplifier clicks one time as soon as it is on phono, then pretty much as soon as the needle is lifted or about to drop, the amplifier clicks again and turns off. It only shuts off like this on phono.

First, I tried making sure the copper from the speakers wires were tight and making contact with nothing but the bridge post. Still shut off. Then I ordered some banana plugs. I believe I am using them correctly, but they receiver still shuts off on phono only.

I am connected to an AT-LP60X turntable and 6 om pioneer speakers.

Does anybody have any tips or ideas about what could be going wrong? I am new to this world, so the learning curve has been steep.

Since it only happens with the turntable the problem cannot be speaker wiring since that would cause the problem with other inputs too.
If you have the TT set to connect to a line level input and have connected it to the phono input it will overload that more sensitive input. That could cause the receiver to shut down.
You can set the TT to bypass the built in phono preamp and leave it connected to the phono input or leave it set to use the built in phono preamp and connect it to any other analog audio input. The turntable manual will show you where that switch is located. Usually it's either on the back or under the platter.

Apr 23, 2020
Thanks for the troubleshooting tips. I had taken these steps.

The shutting down actually happens in all inputs now, and it seems responsive to volume. The louder the sound (around 65 of 80), the amp shuts off. Could this be a set-up issue or does this sound like a hardware problem that needs to be looked at by the manufacturer?

Apr 23, 2020
Since it only happens with the turntable the problem cannot be speaker wiring since that would cause the problem with other inputs too.
If you have the TT set to connect to a line level input and have connected it to the phono input it will overload that more sensitive input. That could cause the receiver to shut down.
You can set the TT to bypass the built in phono preamp and leave it connected to the phono input or leave it set to use the built in phono preamp and connect it to any other analog audio input. The turntable manual will show you where that switch is located. Usually it's either on the back or under the platter.

Update: I bought a new amplifier, but I’m getting same problem. The speaker shuts off on all channels. This amp, a Pioneer, runs a diagnostic after shutting down, which keeps reading “Check SP Wire.”

I’ve re-cut, double checked, and used banana plugs to input into the amp. Could I have purchased a faulty coil of speaker wire? Would the way the wires touch the back of the speaker be causing the shut down? See pic of how they are currently exposed on back of speaker: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AzlJctDBuwEQL8QLjyDhGbNjV0M02tbu/view?usp=drivesdk