Why does my Smart Hub have to update every time I turn on the TV?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelrtdance

Estimable
Apr 25, 2015
My boyfriend has a Samsung Smart TV, and he's never had an issue with it until recently. Every time we turn the TV and press the Smart Hub button, it begins an update, which lasts for ever and ever. We turn the TV off and on to see if it will help, but alas, the same thing happens again. I'm curious to know if anyone else is suffering from this same malfunction? We just want to watch our Amazon Prime and we can't due to our Smart Hub always updating. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

toonakin84

Estimable
Feb 4, 2016
I have model un40eh5300 and I have the same problems as all of you guys first it woudnt detect my wifi and like every other day it had to update now I connected it back with Ethernet cable and the problem is worst it needs to be updated every time I try using the smart hub I bought my tv when my son was 9 months old he is now 3 going on 4 so I'm sure my warranty is done but I cant belive this its been connected to the same spot and modem for the past 2 years and these problems started happening 4 months ago I had to update like once a week or so but then I worked then every other day and now everytime I try to just use the smart hub I paid decent cash for this I'm so annoyed

jsun98294

Commendable
May 21, 2016

I've been having this same problem since I updated (manually) to version 2214. Sometime last year. (Set to manual update for a reason) on my tv it only lasts a minute or so then I can access the smart hub but it's really annoying and never used to do it.

EVERY time I turn TV on, I select smart hub right away I get message: "smart hub is updating please try again later" I click OK in message and have to wait between 35sec to a minute only after a short wait am I able to select smart hub if I don't wait long enough message reappears if I select SH too soon.
It's a royal pain, I contacted samsung "chat line" and they said they wanted to remotely manage my TV and do a factory reset after explaining the problem, I declined because it erases ALL your settings, BUT they did state they said they had NEVER had a complaint about this "issue" before. Pure lie IMO, NOTE: I've done the "chat" thing many times and each and every time they want to remote view TV and do "factory reset" every time! It's their standard SOP. I think they do it because their hoping the consumer will get tired of the run around and give up, I have several times. They won't acknowledge a problem, I've never had them tell me they knew of the issue and they are working on it.
SO, today after updating to version 2215 (hoping they finally fixed it with a new version) they didn't) I contacted "chat" AGAIN! and spent the next 1hr 45min on chat and towards the end the rep told me that that's the way it should be at start-up WHAT??? I just spent all this time with you trying to get this smart hub message to stop including giving you remote access factory reset all that BS and now you say that's how it should be???
I went ballistic, I told them at beginning of chat what the issue was and now almost 2 hours later he tells me Oh there's nothing wrong that's how it should be. As it turns out (now I'm assuming) ver:2214 maybe ver:2213 samsung put this in the update it was one of those versions anyway when the issue started. Now I've been told "that's how it should be the smart hub is looking for updates".
Well guess what the tv when new would go straight to smart hub now it's like 1960, turning tv on and waiting for it to heat up and picture would appear in a minute or so.
I'm just glad to know others are having this issue I thought it was just me and my tv. EVERYONE that has this issue needs to contact samsung let them know and tell them you'll never buy a samsung product again!
Maybe they'll listen but I'm not holding my breath.
Model number of my TV: UN55F7100AFXZA current version: 2215
I also have a UN46H7150AF it's not affected current version:2143

mordanti

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
My Samsung TV( Model UN46D6420 / software v1031.0) started doing this a few days ago, after I disconnected and reconnected a few wires. I think it may have messed with a few settings, so I went in and checked things again, to see if anything was different.

Under the TV menu Support -> Software Upgrade -> 'Standby Mode Upgrade' was set to 'On' which I don't recall setting.

Changing this to 'Off' removed the constant 'Connecting/Downloading/Installing' prompt cycle when using the SmartHub.

Hope that helps to fix some people's issues.

jsun98294

Commendable
May 21, 2016

It seems that your original question has spawned some differing issues that others have with their TV's.
I responded to this thread because of the question you asked "WHY DOES MY SMART HUB HAVE TO UPDATE EVERY TIME I TURN ON TV?
That is exactly what mine does too but the smart hub updating only lasts for a minute or less and them I'm able to select smart hub. It seems that there's many issues that are similar and Samsung "pretends" they don't know of these issues and if you contact them they will want to do a "factory reset" guaranteed and guess what it's NOT the TV it's their stupid updates.
My suggestion is TURN OFF AUTO UPDATE IN YOUR TV MENU, I have updated my TV several times and the updates have never given me better picture or made things easier to navigate to, whats the point of updating, as far as I can tell the update I got 2214 just changed how my Smart Hub displayed on screen oh and gave me a Smart Hub that now SEARCHES for updates every time I turn TV on.
Before contacting Samsung about Smart Hub checking for updates when you first turn tv on "READ MY PREVIOUS POST" you'll save yourself a lot of extra frustration ....but PLEASE CONTACT THEM AND TELL THEM YOU"LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SAMSUNG PRODUCT"

Kuhnesito

Commendable
May 31, 2016
I know this thread is old but I have the exact same issue, I have one of the 75 inch Samsung smart tv's (no 3D) that had the old type of smart hub. The one that showed up in the whole screen when you pressed the smart button. Unlike the newer 4K tv's that show the menu as a bar of icons on the bottom and you can still see what's going on on the tv.

Then a few months ago I did a firmware update and they changed from the old style smart hub to the new one, so now my smart hub is just like the new tv's, the problem is that now every time I turn on the tv I can't instantly hit the smart button to have the hub show up, I have to wait at least 30 seconds, or else I just get a message saying "smart hub is updating" when I press the button. After 30 seconds or so, if I press it, the hub shows up correctly now as the new version with the icons on the bottom.

Searching online for solutions has been pointless and telling Samsung has even been more pointless. I had a Samsung technician come to my house for another reason (tv had a faulty board and they exchanged it) and when I asked him about the issue of the smart hub and the update and all that he just looked at me as if I told him to broker a peace treaty between Israel and Palestine. In other words, he looked at me like "WTF?!?"

The only reason why I am replying to this thread is because I noticed there was a recent reply, so hopefully someone is still watching this.

If there was a way to downgrade to the last version of the firmware that still used the old style smart hub, this would make my life easier.

Sure, waiting 30 seconds before pressing the button isn't exactly a big deal but the whole point of a smart button is to use the integrated features of the TV as opposed to an external device like Roku, Apple TV, PS4, etc.

What is the point of having that smart hub button if I can actually turn on the tv, switch to the HDMI port where my Amazon Fire stick is connected and then run Netflix on the fire stick, all while the TV itself still isn't ready to launch its own smart hub because it's "updating"

Kinda silly, isn't it? I still love my TV and won't sell it for a while but thanks to that issue I abandoned all intentions of using Samsung apps, which I actually used a lot (weather, Netflix, Amazon video, etc.) and have been using the fire stick I had downstairs instead.

Please, someone give me a solution if you find one.

Levenicks

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

We had same problem. Our SmartHub was updating for over 24 hours...UGH. So I went to Support/Self diagnosis/Reset/Pin "0000". (Usually)/Yes (factory settings). After that was completed I was able to go to SmartHub and watch Netflix. Process was complete in under 10 minutes. Hope this helps!

BigDaddyOKC

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
How can we start a class action? Im sick of this tv not working, iv had an issue with samsung, it will be fixed in next update, cant get ut to work wifi or lan cable, now its outa warranty and they want me to pay to change the network card... this is total bullshit

Thurstanh

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
I had a problem whereby if I went into the old fullscreen smart hub and immediately tried to load an app it would invariably crash out.

I found I had to wait a few seconds, usually when I saw the media load on the games and videos screens shown at either edge of the screen. Then if I opened the app it would work.

My problem is with a recent update it takes a minute or two for the new smart hub strip to show on the bottom. If you press before waiting it shows a message "updating smart hub". I'm not sure if it takes longer with the latest update or is just more frustrating. It felt like a step backwards to me.

Update is greyed out, I was hoping there may have been a fix. If I find one I will share.

Status
Not open for further replies.