Help me find it.

1) 14"
    2) no optical drive
    3) 1080 resolution minimum
    4) Windows 7 or 8 Pro
    5) 128-256 GB SSD (no hybrid)
    6) discrete video card
    7) don't want it labeled gaming laptop

I keep finding laptops that are always missing one component on my list. And for now, price and weight are not a priority. And as for battery life, I've gotten by with a laptop that had a damaged battery that only lasted 45 minutes. As long as it's not that bad, I'll be fine. I'm plugged in 95% of the time.

It doesn't exist because 1080p at 14" isn't an option that anyone really does. 14" is too small to really benefit from it Bump up to a 15" and all your demands are met easily from most laptop companies, or stay at 14" and bump your resolution down.

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

Hmm. You might convince me to drop down to the next lowest resolution, which I think is 1600 x 900. Why is 1080p at 14" not worthwhile in your opinion? Not even for gaming? Or spreadsheets? I feel suffocated sometimes on my current laptop's 1366 x 768 when I use spreadsheets.

Nice laptop indeed, but it's $800+ more than the laptops I'm looking at. Also, I don't want it labeled gaming (edited my OP). Thanks though.

Prathamesh Bhopi

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014
what is your purpose of using such laptop? Sony vaio pro13 has 13" screen with 1080p resolution but it doesn't have a discrete graphics card. It also has ssd drive it runs on windows 8 proif you don't want to use it for gaming purpose then its a great option for you.

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
The closest I've come is the Lenovo ThinkPad T440p. But I'm making some sacrifices. It has an optical drive (weight that I don't need) and the discrete graphics card isn't great. Perhaps someone knows something along these lines but better?

Work travel with the option to game while on the road. That means it will be my sole hotel and on-site machine, meaning a single monitor setup. That's why the screen size not being too small is important (and resolution to an extent), because while traveling I will not have the option of connecting a second monitor. Do you think a 13" screen will suffice?

And gaming is the reason why I want a discrete graphics card. Not state of the art games or anything, but I want to play games such as League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic on the highest settings and get 30+ FPS. On my current 3 1/2 year integrated graphics laptop, I get max 18-19 on high settings. I think asking for 15 more FPS isn't asking for too much.

Yes, it won't pass company clearance as a gaming laptop. Also, in front of clients it looks silly having a gaming laptop. The thing might as well be pink with a Hello Kitty logo...the way most gaming laptops are designed.

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

Thanks!

$1,100 - 1,300? Around there.

And no, no gaming. No alien logos. No gaming words. No aerodynamic look. No neon green/red keyboard backlighting. None of that weird stuff. It's gotta look like a boring laptop.

I'd try customizing on our site the Gigabyte P34Gv2 Laptop! It looks really boring, it's grey and it just says the words gigabyte with regular keyboard lighting (just regular lights non-colored).

I've configured one for you (http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gigabyte-P34Gv2-Gaming-Laptop/W/227927) - $1,441 + free shipping. Get 5% off your purchase of $1,299 or more (Promotional Code - BOXBOX5) - Final Total - $1,371.95 + free shipping.

This laptop comes with an 860M GTX, which will play all of your games on high settings with 60+ FPS and LoL in maxed out settings. It's configured to have a 128GB SSD (You can upgrade or change it to a 256GB SSD) and it doesn't have an optical drive.

Additionally, it carries an IPS Full HD 1920x1080 screen and it looks like a casual laptop. It doesn't even look like a gaming laptop, but in reality, it's a fairly thin powerhouse with the capabilities to run most modern games in high settings.

If you talk to sales via phone, maybe they can take out the words "gaming" in the invoice.

I think I hit all the points except for the gaming title one, which I think can be avoided.

Or if the words gaming are that much of an issue, I've found a Gigabyte laptop on Amazon that should match all of your specific criteria. There are other models that say gaming, but this listing specifically does not. It has a discrete GPU even though it might not list it and it should be a GTX 760M, which is still a powerful GPU.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-P34G-CF1-14-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00FJ4P5CK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RCS30FHAX626VJ9BS1G - $1,299.99 + $26.95 shipping

The GPU is still a Class-1, which means it can run most modern games like the 860M I suggested earlier. It carries the same boring and plain look, but it has no gaming in the title and it has everything you asked for.

Here's a pricier option if you wanted the 860M without the words "gaming" in the title. (http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-P34Gv2-CF2-4710HQ-3-5GHz-Windows/dp/B00LU9N6CY/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1406135537&sr=1-5&keywords=gigabyte+14-inch) - $1,543.97 & FREE Shipping

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

Wow, thanks. I'll look into these.