Why I’m Waiting For The White iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]weirdguy99[/nom]The white iphone looks pretty bad..you can see the little speaker thing up the top but on the black iphone its hidden.[/citation]
Hey, to each his/her own, I guess. The speaker grill is tiny and doesn't bother me a bit. I still prefer the white version, but I would never say the black one looks "bad."

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I hope your life has more meaning than that.. I won't say what this article makes of you in my eyes.. Sorry.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]I hope your life has more meaning than that.. I won't say what this article makes of you in my eyes.. Sorry.[/citation]
Aww, I think this guy needs to get his eyes checked.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]both look great, but cases hide the color so doesn't matter to me anyways[/citation]
Actually--they don't this time. The face is visible in all cases, and the color on the face is different on the 4 (whereas it wasn't on the 3GS and 3G).

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Best reason to wait for the white iPhone 4 is that it should see a slight manufacturing improvement. The delay related to manufacturing may be related to the antennae problems we've seen with the black phone launch. No matter the real cause for that delay it's a sign the white phone may fair better overall quality when it arrives. It's usually true of most second runs of other tech gadgets.

Small typo Rachel "buy" should be "by" in the paragraph starting "Buy getting in line with the other buyers"... Probably others I missed but this one popped out, sorry for being a "grammar nazi."

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
While I certainly understand your desire to get the device you want, that looks like what you want, some of your reasons are a little, um, silly?

Like, "they may have fixed the antennae by then." Well, maybe they will, and maybe they won't. But I doubt, either way, it will affect your decision. If you are using "better hardware revisions come later" as an excuse not to buy today, that's a long game...

How about, "I don't want to wait in line with men." Well, wait a few days/weeks and you won't have to wait in line at all. Really? You are basing your decision on the people in the line, and not the final product? You also say that line will be made up of "like minded individuals," but how do you know that?

Waiting in line to show you wanted the white iPhone might be a decent reason--assuming there is a line for it. Or, just buying one might demonstrate to Apple there is a demand--wait a minute, that's how it usually works. It really shouldn't matter who wants it--men or women. If apple sees that it is a popular product, they will know to keep making white devices.

Your best reason is, it appeals to your sense of style. Now, there's a reason that actually makes sense, and probably the only one that actually matters to you. After all, Apple already planned the very phone you want--there were just unanticipated delays. They fully intended to launch with white iPhone but somebody just screwed up.

In the end, buy what you want, not to make a statement. Buying what you want is the statement.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]adipose[/nom]While I certainly understand your desire to get the device you want, that looks like what you want, some of your reasons are a little, um, silly?Like, "they may have fixed the antennae by then." Well, maybe they will, and maybe they won't. But I doubt, either way, it will affect your decision. If you are using "better hardware revisions come later" as an excuse not to buy today, that's a long game...How about, "I don't want to wait in line with men." Well, wait a few days/weeks and you won't have to wait in line at all. Really? You are basing your decision on the people in the line, and not the final product? You also say that line will be made up of "like minded individuals," but how do you know that?Waiting in line to show you wanted the white iPhone might be a decent reason--assuming there is a line for it. Or, just buying one might demonstrate to Apple there is a demand--wait a minute, that's how it usually works. It really shouldn't matter who wants it--men or women. If apple sees that it is a popular product, they will know to keep making white devices.Your best reason is, it appeals to your sense of style. Now, there's a reason that actually makes sense, and probably the only one that actually matters to you. After all, Apple already planned the very phone you want--there were just unanticipated delays. They fully intended to launch with white iPhone but somebody just screwed up.In the end, buy what you want, not to make a statement. Buying what you want is the statement.[/citation]
Thanks for your analysis. I think you get exactly what I'm trying to say. It doesn't matter who wants it--women or men--but I am interested in why the people who want it, want it. Sure, some people may find gadget preferences based on color to be silly, but I tried to take that a little deeper by explaining WHY the color actually matters to me (I can't speak for everyone who wants the white one, of course).

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]Thanks for your analysis. I think you get exactly what I'm trying to say. It doesn't matter who wants it--women or men--but I am interested in why the people who want it, want it. Sure, some people may find gadget preferences based on color to be silly, but I tried to take that a little deeper by explaining WHY the color actually matters to me (I can't speak for everyone who wants the white one, of course).[/citation]

I don't find your desire to have the color of your choosing silly. It's the other, secondary reason you give to justify waiting for that color that seemed silly to me.

If you want a white one, wait. But don't pretend it's about something other than that.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]adipose[/nom]I don't find your desire to have the color of your choosing silly. It's the other, secondary reason you give to justify waiting for that color that seemed silly to me.If you want a white one, wait. But don't pretend it's about something other than that.[/citation]
No pretending involved, but I think I can see why you'd think so. How could anyone *possibly* read so much into a color preference? I guess it has something to do with the fact that several dozen people have asked me why I'm waiting--so I gave it perhaps a little too much thought.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]I hope your life has more meaning than that.. I won't say what this article makes of you in my eyes.. Sorry.[/citation]

Sorry Rachel, I'm going to have to (partially) agree with doron here. doron, you got marked down because of how you said what you said, and not what you said (besides, the thumb ratings don't really mean anything).

Rachel, I'm sure you're a nice person with goals and ambitions that are far greater than that of consumer electronics; however, this article does make you look vapid and insecure.

For fairness sake you could follow this article with a "Why I'm waiting for Windows Mobile 7" article as well. That would be adhering to the 3rd law of the Journalist's Creed: "I believe that clear thinking, clear statement, accuracy and fairness are fundamental to good journalism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalist%27s_Creed

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
My fiancée would have preferred the white one but her 3G was failing and she needed a new phone asap. It kept freezing on her and struggled to put calls through a lot of the time.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jayoptick[/nom]your waiting because your a fucking idiot Apple products are garbage every last one[/citation]

Way to go resulting to personal insults at the writer. If you think Apple products are garbage then why are you reading stories about them? Chances are you didn't even read the article and have some strange unexplained anger at anything to do with Apple. I mean, chances are Apple has personally hurt you in some way at some point.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Barf, I prefer black since I'm a "closeted" iPhone user that doesn't like to broadcast to everyone that I have an Apple product. Not ashamed, just don't like how iconic the brand has become and the D-bags that sport it just for that reason.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
"While beige was the initial color trend for PCs, Apple sent forth a burst of color with the first iMacs in 1999."

Um, Rachel, you do realize that apple ALSO started with ugly beige computers when they started right?
You apple fanboys (and girls) seem to have a nasty habit of omitting details in apple's history that make your favorite cult seem a bit less polished than you want to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.