Why is firefox so much more lag than IE or Opera on the same PC?

sobamonster42

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
My computer is running a core i5 3550 with 8gb of RAM and a SSD. It was very zippy until about 1 week ago when i updated to Avast 8 antivirus. Firefox started lagging very badly. Thinking it was the antivirus, i disabled the browser component but it did not help.

Firefox lagging was a trend I noticed in all my other laptops and pc which do not have an SSD installed so naturally i attributed firefox fast performance on this particular pc to the SSD. I rarely write anything to the SSD and it has a constant 40+GB of free space so I dont think its the SSD problem either.

I have tried disabling all the add-ons in firefox but it still showed no improvement.

I thought it might be a hardware issue or a network issue but using speedtest.net showed that IE and opera both clocked 5ms ping and download speed of 95mbps. Firefox showed 411ms ping and 14.49mbps on the same network and computer.

I like firefox and would really like to use it again but now it is simply unusable

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

:hello:

Kindly I ask your attention. :D

It's likely that your AV program conflicts with FireFox, send Firefox a notification about it and if your using an x32 or x64 and the FireFox version of course.
So they can work on the issue or give you an option.

I would backup FireFox and reinstall it and give it another try.

I have many browsers, the one is faster, the other one finds easier, the other one downloads faster, etc. Don't ask how or what, but it is.
This has to do with development too you know and when one having issues, I just take another one.

The most interesting about FireFox is, there are a lot of extensions.

Finally I found one that can handle tabs for save and that in rows too. They will not be loaded till you click ad them.
Lets say you create a row of tabs for emaill, one for a project, etc. Just give the row a name and you just have go for the name and than the tab of choice. Well, don't forget to Pin it in the row, or when clicked it will be opened, but only once usable.

And many, many, many more! :eek: :eek: :eek: :pt1cable: :D

When it comes to playing movies, it happens that errors will ocuure ad the moment.
There are a lot of (adobe/java) script errors, don't know why.

Well, let us know if it helped! :D

Hopefully I let you known enough and that you will find the answers you seek! :D

Good luck and have fun doing it! :D

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
Are you running windows 8? Avast 8 has some problems undr win8. I'm not sure if they are resolved yet. Just google "avast windows 8 problems". I personally think there are some issues with avast 8 on other windows OS's too. Since I updated to avast 8 I noticed that executables run from the network seem to take 5 seconds or more to launch and display their initial window. Local executables seem fine.

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
:hello:

Kindly I ask your attention. :)

What you could do is let us known witch Windows and Firefox version you are using.

And witch x type Windows 8 and Firefox you are using.

Hopefully I let you known enough and that you will find the answers you seek! :)

Good luck and have fun doing it! :)

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

sobamonster42

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I am using Windows 7 64bit with the latest firefox ver 19.0.2.

My earlier post was incorrect as now it seems like any browser i install is lagging. IE9 was still faster than firefox and opera and i was content with using it but windows came along with the IE10 update and i updated. Now IE is just as lag as firefox and opera. Lessons learnt: Don't fix something when it aint broken.

sobamonster42

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
It seems like a component of Avast 8 was slowing my browsers to a crawl. I uninstalled it and got back the zippy performance. When I reinstalled it i chose minimal and removed features like the software updater etc. However the problem came back so I took one last shot looking through the menu for any options that i could turn off to improve my browser speed. Turns out avast has this feature that autocorrects urls if they are spell wrongly. Turning it off improves the speed almost to the level of without avast installed. Hopefully this fix continues to work. Thanks for all the input!