why is my computer locking up when using Google Chrome?

Carol_36

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
This only started a week or so ago. I open Google and in minutes my computer completely locks up. Control +Alt+Deleat does not even work!

Solution
My thought would be that there is some process or service being disrupted by Google Chrome or vice versa.

Do you see any error codes or warning messages? If so posting that information will help.

Otherwise, if no errors codes are being presented, you may be able to find that information by using Event Viewer.

Event Viewer records many things that happen on your computer: informational, warnings, and errors.

You will be looking for events that occur at the time of the crash and then work backwards to see what happened to cause that event (e.g., maybe opening Google....)

Press the WIN key and the R key together. In the Open box type "eventvwr" (without quotes).

Event viewer is unfamilar territory for many people but you cannot...
My thought would be that there is some process or service being disrupted by Google Chrome or vice versa.

Do you see any error codes or warning messages? If so posting that information will help.

Otherwise, if no errors codes are being presented, you may be able to find that information by using Event Viewer.

Event Viewer records many things that happen on your computer: informational, warnings, and errors.

You will be looking for events that occur at the time of the crash and then work backwards to see what happened to cause that event (e.g., maybe opening Google....)

Press the WIN key and the R key together. In the Open box type "eventvwr" (without quotes).

Event viewer is unfamilar territory for many people but you cannot do any harm spending some time looking around at the various categories of information being logged. Look for red and yellow icons. There may be many of them.

Try to focus on any logged events that appear to be Chrome related or the event time corresponds to that of a known lock-up time. Right click the entry to obtain more information/details.

Find any such error codes and then google accordingly. Be careful as you will likely find a variety of websites asking you to download or do something that will "fix" that error. Many such sites show up no matter what.

For now see what you can find and post accordingly. Thanks.

Solution

jdlech

Commendable
May 31, 2016
Excellent suggestion: I spent days looking around Event Viewer when I first discovered it. I tracked down several software problems I never would have found without it.