Why is my intergrated Intel GPU better than Nvidia GPU?

Firered2015

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015
Hello members of TomsHardWare

I recently purchased a Notebook with both Intel HD GPU and Nvidia 940m GPU. I noticed that my Intel HD GPU is far way (yes, really big differences) better than my Nvidia GPU. For example, I can run Mozilla Firefox with Intel GPU but I cannot run it with Nvidia GPU - Mozilla Firefox will just 'hang' and ... closed itself. A browser is not a very graphic demanding program, why can't my Nvidia GPU run?

Games? Yeah, I tried Intel GPU on Just Cause (one) and it run very smooth at high FPS. When I tried it with my Nvidia GPU, it have some shape ingame object - which shouldn't be shown - and sometime it hang when in big battles.

I know my Notebook is not meant to be a gaming Notebook with 940m graphic card, but it should at least be able to play Just Cause (one) which was released 2006. To add on, I also checked online comparison between the two GPU. Not surprised that the result is that Nvidia GPU will run better.

I reset my computer thinking it was some problem with settings, but it do not work. Updated my GPU but it don't work too. I then contacted Nvidia live support and they told me to contact the shop which I bought my Notebook at.

I contacted the shop and they asked me if my two GPUs are displayed in the Device Manager and I replied yes. They then told me that there is no problem with my GPU. I did not tell them that the Nvidia GPU cannot run Mozilla Firefox yet.

What should I do now? Contact them again? Or could I solve this problem by myself?

My Notebook specification: http://www.acer.com/ac/en/SG/content/model/NX.G7LSG.002.

Bearmann

Estimable
Sep 14, 2015

Well, that just indicates that the GPU has drivers, but doesn't guarantee that the drivers are the most up to date ones. You can right click the GPU in Device manager and choose search for updated drivers, but the best way is to go to nVidia's site and check your card there for updated drivers.

Firered2015

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015

As I said, I have already updated my graphic to the latest version.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
While the 940m isn't going to be a screamer compared to your HD graphics, depending on the game, I would still expect it to give you a 40 - 50% performance improvement over the integrated HD graphics on your CPU. The specs for your laptop don't happen to mention the sort of dedicated memory the 940m is using. It could be possible that instead of GDDR, they went with standard DDR3, but even then I would still expect performance to be better than the HD graphics.

Never having used NVIDIA's Optimus technology, I would suggest ensuring you have the machine configured correctly to be running on the NVIDIA card before telling any programs to use it.

Firered2015

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015

Thank you. Yes. I also expect the Nvidia GPU to perform around 50% better than the integrated Intel GPU.

Is there any programs or ways to find out what my GPU is using - GDDR or DDR3? How do I configure Nvidia Optimus?