CatherineMcClarey

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
I am using a Microsoft Comfort Curve wired keyboard with a desktop computer running Windows 10. The number keypad was working fine until today, but isn't now. Clicking the NumLock key doesn't make a difference. The Ease of Access Center fix suggested elsewhere doesn't seem to help. Going into Device Manager in Control Panel to remove and re-add my keyboard doesn't seem to help. I do have spare standard keyboards from previous computers in the basement, so I could try swapping one of those in -- but would lose the ergonomic features I bought the MS Comfort Curve keyboard for. Is there anything else I can try?

Solution
After posting my question, I had the Driver Booster part of Advanced System Care 9 check for driver updates (nothing for the keyboard, but it found 8 others), and then restarted the computer (while I took a break to go grocery shopping). When I got back, per my spouse's suggestion, I blew compressed air at the keyboard (while holding it upside down) before even entering my MS account password (an alphanumeric combination). Used the number keypad to enter the numeric portion of the password without any problems, tested the Windows Calculator app with the physical keypad (worked fine), and then looked up some ISBN numbers within eBay's Turbo Lister software -- again, working fine again. Couldn't say for sure whether just restarting the...

CatherineMcClarey

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
After posting my question, I had the Driver Booster part of Advanced System Care 9 check for driver updates (nothing for the keyboard, but it found 8 others), and then restarted the computer (while I took a break to go grocery shopping). When I got back, per my spouse's suggestion, I blew compressed air at the keyboard (while holding it upside down) before even entering my MS account password (an alphanumeric combination). Used the number keypad to enter the numeric portion of the password without any problems, tested the Windows Calculator app with the physical keypad (worked fine), and then looked up some ISBN numbers within eBay's Turbo Lister software -- again, working fine again. Couldn't say for sure whether just restarting the computer or blowing dust out from the keyboard solved the problem by itself, but the combination certainly did.
Still not sure just why the numeric keypad on the keyboard was fouled up, though. At this point, however, learning that would mainly just satisfy my curiosity, since the problem is now solved.

Solution