Solved! Why is my Toshiba Satellite freezing?

Oct 12, 2020
I have a Toshiba Satellite C50-A-1DV which I've had from new, for a few years now. It has been getting a bit slow but few days ago it just freezes beyond the home screen if I try to open a folder or program (occasionally it freezes on boot up).

Solution
Pretty likely the drive is failing, hopefully you already have backups done, I would replace the drive and do a clean Windows setup on it. If you still have the stock 4gb of RAM another 4gb stick is a good idea, along with using a SSD for the drive.
Oct 12, 2020
Plenty of space if you mean storage (it has 1TB storage and may be 3/4 full). No battery as that was an issue a while back so only use it with cable plugged in. Have not tried anything in safe mode. My IT knowledge is very limited so not even sure how to start up in safe mode.

Oct 12, 2020
to get to safemode
  1. Press the Windows logo key + R.
  2. Type msconfig in the Open box and then select OK.
  3. Select the Boot tab.
  4. Under Boot options, clear the Safe boot checkbox.
Thanks. Got it in safe mode and does not seem to freeze. Can open folders and programmes though can't open individual photos.

Oct 12, 2020
Thanks for the reply, hang-the-9. Is it really worth buying a new drive as the machine is old and battery knackered (to the point I can only use the laptop plugged in with the battery removed). The CD/DVD player doesn't work either.

The most important thing is the backing ip of all my photos from this year (which I need to do still).

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
Thanks for the reply, hang-the-9. Is it really worth buying a new drive as the machine is old and battery knackered (to the point I can only use the laptop plugged in with the battery removed). The CD/DVD player doesn't work either.

The most important thing is the backing ip of all my photos from this year (which I need to do still).

Just to note, if you get a new drive, you can always use it as a storage drive if you get a new computer. Just need an enclosure. That is what I do with older computers before recycling them. I pull the drives and reuse them for storage. There are docks you can just plug them in and there are enclosures.

anyway, are you having problems moving the photos?

Oct 12, 2020
mejustsayin, cheers for last comments. I have three drives from old laptops that I use as external storage, one is in an enclosure, other two are just for back-up and can be attached to a gadget on a USB cable. I have already explored the current laptop and very easy to remove the drive and connect to my gadget.

But easy enough moving my photos and other files onto my main (bought) external hard drive from my laptop whilst in safe mode. Just slow. Done about half of them so far!

Any recommendations on which new laptop I should buy. Is 8GB rather than 4GB RAM the way forward?