Question Why is the BT 5.0 in win 10 worse then BT 4.2 on phone?

Apr 2, 2022
I have a win 10 system and bought a new TP-Link Bluetooth 5.0 stick to connect. When I bring my connected earplugs downstairs it starts cutting out and lowering the quality, and general struggle. But when I connect my earplugs to my BT4.2 Phone and leave the phone in the same place and bring my buds down, I barely have any problems.
How come my phone with BT 4.2 has a better connection then my BT5.0 connection? Am I doing something wrong? I tried to update the drivers and it says it already has the latest.
Or is my phone just that good? Samsung S7 btw.

Bluetooth is an RF signal just like wifi is. How well RF works depends on power transmitted, the antenna configuration, any possible interfering signals and obstructions along the transmission path. While it's possible there is a software issue or some compatibility issue with the newer version of BT, I suspect the issue has to do with signal propagation or transmitter power (see https://www.scienceabc.com/innovation/what-is-the-range-of-bluetooth-and-how-can-it-be-extended.html). It may be your phone is a higher "class" device than your laptop. I'm not sure how you would find out that. It may also be the case that the antenna in your PC is not oriented well for your connection or us a poor antenna design. Just like with wifi, changing the orientation of your device can impact signal strength..

Apr 2, 2022
Thanks, but it's definitely not the orientation. I have had the phone in the same place. And the dongle has trouble going through 1 wall over 3 meters. And my phone goes through 2 or 3 walls over 5 or 6 meters. Maybe it's a class thing. I couldn't find anything on the official site of the dongle.
Tried to update Bluetooth with the official tp-link bluetooth software and not the standard windows one. If that makes a difference in this case. Same deal.
Are there any any dongles out there that are known to be class 2? Because i have to say, this is slightly annoying.

Last edited: