Why isnt my hp adapter working?

mybrainhurts

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I have an HP/compaq nc8430 that i just bought used, and i cant get my adapter to work with it (as in no power whatsoever).

the notebook didnt come with an adapter, so i dug around and found one that goes to the hp elitebook 6930p, but is the same specs as the original.

I doubt that its the notebook, because the original owner powered it on to show me that it worked, and I know its not the adapter because it works on the elitebook that im using.

the original adapter is 19v 4.7a 90W, and the elitebook adapter is 19v 4.7a

it should work, but it doesnt. Any ideas?

mybrainhurts

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Sorry to take so long to respond, my Internet got shut off for a while. Anyway, no it didnt have any power at all. I figured it out though (sort of). I started poking around the motherboard next to the power port and noticed that if I crossed a couple of un-soldered contacts (as in it had solder, but nothing was ever put in to it) on the board, it would turn on. So now it works again, except for a new problem. Now neither the keyboard or the buttons above it (volume +-, ect.) don't work at all, even to enter the bios, but the rest of the laptop is fine. I've already tested the keyboard on another laptop and it works fine. So basically that's what I'm stuck at.