Why my GTX 1050 is running better than my GTX 1050 Ti?

Jul 26, 2018
I have a MSI Laptop which have this spec :
-i7-7700HQ
-GTX 1050 2 GB
-8 GB of RAM

While my Asus have this spec :
-i7-8750H
-GTX 1050Ti 4 GB
-8 GB of RAM

Seeing from the sheets, my Asus should perform better than the MSI right? But the truth is kinda flipped. My MSI running game smoothly (I use AC4 Blackflag for comparison with same settings on both laptop) but my Asus is kinda stuttering. When i test both laptop with Novabench, Asus beats MSI in the CPU and the Disk Speed score, but oddly fails to beat MSI at the GPU. Why is this probably happening?

zyh1987

Proper
Mar 16, 2018
first, make sure all your drivers are update to date.

it could be that the cooling and power setting for the 1050ti was restricting the chip to perform at its best.

you can run msi afterburner to check the gpu/mem clock and compare it against the reference, as well as temperature under load. that will usually show signs of a thermal throttling, if it's a thermal issue, you can try to modify the cooling by using high quality thermal paste, lapping/polish the surface of your laptop heatsink and verify that every thing are properly installed. you could also try to undervoltage your gpu and cpu, but by doing so, you will need verify the stability.

Jul 26, 2018

Will keep you guys posted with the heat test on the MSI Afterburner, but anyway how to change the power setting on the GTX 1050Ti? Oh and fyi, the Asus is new (Just bought it a few days ago) so i don't think it's the thermal paste. Can this be a hardware issues?

Jul 26, 2018
So, this is the screenshot of the MSI Afterburner.
This is the ASUS :

And here's the gpu/mem clock when i play CSGO :

And this is the MSI (Same game, optimal settings) :

I see that the maximum temperature detected is around the same. The ASUS GPU Clock was higher, and the memory clock is the same. Is there any signs of possible problem?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LotusG22 Laptop Tech Support 1
magicalfry Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 0
B Laptop Tech Support 0
maverick251722 Laptop Tech Support 1
clovershape Laptop Tech Support 9
Georgeop799 Laptop Tech Support 3
D Laptop Tech Support 0
dunpd Laptop Tech Support 18
B Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 0