Why my home subwoofer isn't got much power

redox653721

Great
Aug 19, 2018
Hello,
I have a nice home system speakers and recently I bought for it a subwoofer to increase the bass.
But as I see it looks like it is not got enough power.
I have 5 speakers with a yahama htr 3063 reciver and a subwoofer which connected to a lepy amplifier which connected to the reciver also.
When I turn the volume up the sub just going crazy like it doesn't have enough power. But my Friend has the same system as mine with a different reciver and speakers but all works fine with his.
What can be the problem?

Is his room the same size?
If your room is different then the bass will be different.
If his sub is in the corner then it can play 3db louder than yours in the middle of a wall. That means you need twice the power to match the volume he gets.
His speakers are different so if yours are less efficient or have more bass output you will have to run the sub louder to keep up.
Those little digital amps are usually have a lot less power than the ad says. If you can find the the actual factory spec sheet it could be a quarter of the power in the ad.

it could be you don't have the sub amp connected properly, what sub and what amp do you have and how did you wire it up?

My setup is an Onkyo tx-sr304 w/ a mix/match Pioneer mains, RCA center channel and Optimus rear surrounds. I added on a DIY passive sub + amp, a BSR 15" dual-coil 4 ohm sub connected to a Boss Riot 1100M powered by an old 350W ATX power supply. I bridged the sub inputs so it's 8-ohm connected to the amp, and when I hit about 60% volume the pictures start vibrating enough so they will eventually fall off the shelf.

I just thought of this, after checking the manual (you can download from here) make sure you have the speakers setup correctly (pages 22 and 23 in the US/NA manual) where the mains are set to "small", subwoofer is enabled and crossover freq setup to your liking.

redox653721

Great
Aug 19, 2018
Well, as I said I'm using lepy amplifier from ebay, it is not got much power but some how it does work to my friend. The sub I'm using is Sharp 500w and 250rms home subwoofer.
I connected the lepy amplifier to the sub output on the reciver.
When I turn the volume up it just sound like an underpowered sub, which means that I hear only bumps and not bass at all.
I don't have my reciver remote so I'm not able to check everything on the reciver...
The sub is on the corner of the room.
Should I just buy a power supply and car amplifier? Or this is not about it?

kerberos_20

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Subwoofer on your receiver has default 80Hz crossover setting, there is no beat on this frequency, but it should play some bass boost youtube content or rap music
u can setup your crossover to higher values to hear normal beats, that be around 120~140Hz
but on the other hand, if ull play normal beats alongside some "earthquake simulator" thing on same woofer, then you wont hear it, as single woofer cant handle it, thats why there are crossovers, so u can hear everything as long yours speakers are setup correctly and you have enough woofers which can cover full hearing spectrum

that lepy amplifier, which model is it?

redox653721

Great
Aug 19, 2018
Actually It does make sense because when I play music on mid - low volume, I do have decent bass especially when playing bass boosted.
But I can't find this type of option on my reciver.. And I don't have its remote.

The lepy model is lp-168s
The reciver model is yahama htr 3063

kerberos_20

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
well, your amplifier is 40watts, that will not make much of sound, u will just burn that baby
as for your yamaha, to change that crossover u will need remote, u can get on ebay some 2nd hand universal remote with yamaha codes on it, or if your phone has IR u can use that too

Yes that will be much better, very similar to what I am using (the R1100M). If your sub is 500w / 250w rms and is dual coil I wired mine in series to make 8 ohm which keeps the power requirements down and also keeps the volume level consistent with the other 8-ohm speakers I have. Also don't forget to tie the amp and PSU chassis together with a ground strap, should sound awesome.