Why my laptop(with Nvidia) cant play a 4K video? But my tiny smartphone can... HOW?

Vyshakh99

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
My laptop with 2.3 GHz i3 processor and a dedicated Nvidia gpu is unable to play a 4K video. But my mobile phone can play and record a 4K video so easily. HOW?

Solution
Is this an online video or a video stored on the hdd? If it is online then the phone will compress the vid as the app takes less storage and memory than running on a laptop. If the vid is on a hdd then it could be the video player as the tv and movies app should be able to play the vid with less than 10% cpu usage.

Colif

Distinguished
I could guess screen size... even if its exact same amount of pixels, the size of each one is going to be bigger on a PC monitor than on a potentially 5 inch screen

Is it full 4k screen on Phone? What one do you have as some of them have funky screen sizes, Samsung S7 Edge is wqhd which is just odd, and not full 4k. Its kind of pointless having 4k on such a small screen anyway as you can't really tell.

Vyshakh99

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

I don't think pixel size doesn't affect CPU/GPU usage, the pixel count does.
My laptop's screen is 720p and phone is 1080p.

Is this an online video or a video stored on the hdd? If it is online then the phone will compress the vid as the app takes less storage and memory than running on a laptop. If the vid is on a hdd then it could be the video player as the tv and movies app should be able to play the vid with less than 10% cpu usage.

Solution