Why You Need a Backup Strategy for Your Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've never had to deal with this in the entire time I've had a smartphone. First it was the Microsoft MyPhone service and now with Windows Phone, it just backs up all of my important data automatically. I didn't have to set anything up. I didn't have to install any apps. When I get my next phone, I just plug in my LiveID and everything I need is restored.

zozzlhandler

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
With Android, if you have a gmail account, you can have the phone sync everything automatically there. I lost an android phone, got a new one, and had everything back in about a minute after giving it the account data.

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Dan12R[/nom]I've never had to deal with this in the entire time I've had a smartphone. First it was the Microsoft MyPhone service and now with Windows Phone, it just backs up all of my important data automatically. I didn't have to set anything up. I didn't have to install any apps. When I get my next phone, I just plug in my LiveID and everything I need is restored.[/citation]

he mentioned multiple times that he is an android user, i do not think a liveid would help him much regarding that particular situation.

joshybo7

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
although as an android user, most of my data is on sync with my computer through htc's software, not as handy as a cloud back-up although it helps with this situation.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]joshybo7[/nom]he mentioned multiple times that he is an android user, i do not think a liveid would help him much regarding that particular situation.[/citation]
He was pointing out that his own phones have never had a problem with cloud backup (including pictures and stuff, not just SMS/MMS and Contacts). Android devices are a bit messier on that front, especially for someone who has never needed a backup before in their life and has a "Yeah yeah" attitude towards backup.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I must be doing smart phones wrong. besides contacts which are saved with sync. i don't have anything id care about if my phone gets wiped.

in fact every time i update my phone i just wipe it anyway.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I had a HTC Desire and had all sorts of problems with apps crashing, Flash card wiping data by itself and more. I'm back With S.E. now (Xperia Mini Pro) and I must say it's stable as a rock. When I have a stable phone, I usually don't even consider backing anything up. Besides all my E-mails, calendar notes and contacts are stored in the cloud with my Gmail and I really don't care about my text messages.

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
My WinMo 6.1 phone crashed a while ago with the details of someone who I'd had an automobile accident with, MS MyPhone really saved the day as I'd taken a photo of his license which had been backed up. Having said that it wasn't preinstalled, I had to go to the Marketplace (read: app store) and download it, then use my old (and out of use) Windows Live login. Small price to pay though.

The issue with service that don't take a complete snapshot is that there's always some app you've installed that keeps files somewhere that Google/MS don't know about, and you lose that info if you rely on the cloud sync, I guess that's one advantage Apple has with their 'regime' of micromanaging iOS. I think there's already half a dozen apps I have on Android that either put or allow you to put files everywhere. Unless you start backing up files based on typre rather than where they are (the traditional method as far as I know at least in the WIndows world) then you have issues missing files and don't have a complete backup of your media. Does anyone know if dropbox/ubuntu one gets around this on droid?

G

I had the same experience...on my birthday this year! The phone suddenly was stuck in a reboot cycle, and I HAD BACKUP SOFTWARE. I called Verizon (LG Ally) and was told I needed to do a factory reset. I did not understand (this is my first smartphone) that I would lose all data...and I too was ANGRY afterwards that I wasn't warned, so that I could backup my data BEFORE the reset, since I had an app installed already!!!

So, this is where it goes south...it turns out my app, much to my surprise and chagrin, only backed up my TEXTS. I lost my browser bookmarks, call logs, all of it. The bookmarks loss hurt the worst!

Since then, I have been much more careful and found an app that backs up everything, and I do them regularly. I also have an antivirus app since I've found that's important too. Smartphones are a lot like a small computer, really.

The thing that makes me the most upset is that the techs with the providers say NOTHING about losing all data....are they unaware? Reading from a script and not allowed to deviate from it? I don't know...don't really care. When they walk you through fixes, you should be informed as to what's happening. Period.

Lesson: Backup your data, often and regularly. I backup mine into 2 diff locations, for security. Get an antivirus app...do your homework before deciding which apps to use for these functions. MOST OF ALL...when you are on the phone with tech support for your phone, ASK QUESTIONS. I held my tongue, and ohhh how I wish I had asked more questions. Things WILL happen...my error was simply a data loop outta control. WHY that took a factory reset I'm uncertain. BACKUP BEFORE CALLING TECH SUPPORT. This way everyone's time is saved, and there's no egg on your face. =)

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Since when is this news? everyone has had a defective phone even before smartphones came out. Its also quite clear to everyone, that to be a LITTLE BIT on the safe side, you need backups (i have 4 times the critical data, 2 times the interesting data, once the replaceable data.

Not to sound negative, but everyone who goes to a store, and buys a new phone before reviewing internet forums about its functionality is basicly trusting the seller or a friend on "how good something is".

What is even more disturbing is the fact that people seem to Pray to Cloud like its the holy Grail.
Sony network got hacked, and after that many others. You think your stuff will be safe on the cloud, think again. Once its popular enought to become a target, it will be a Target.

Most people will never care about this since they will face the "my phone died!" situations once in 4 years, they will get over it, and they wont care enought to make a backup anyway.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
For those on Android I'll recommend SMS Backup + (by Jan Berkel if you market search). Backs up your texts and call log to Gmail manually or on an automated schedule. Of course allows restore as well. The Android Market will remember which apps you had on your phone but if you have unique app data you'll probably want to back that up as well.

MeanSquare

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I've always believed in having a plan B and even plan C. With Android, plan B is pretty simple:
All your contacts and all your e-mail (and some other things as well) are kept on the Google servers and tied to your Google username/password. On a brand new phone, just setting the Google username/password brings all that across. Files? Plan B is keeping them on the microSD so, even if the phone crashes, they're still there. What if the phone is lost/stolen? Plan C is keeping copies on Google Docs. (You could also use any other cloud storage, though I'd like to see a Carbonite mobile version myself.) That leaves SMS. My procedure is not to rely on SMS to store important information, but to copy it to another document. That may or may not work for you. SMS Backup + is a good option if it doesn't.
The real point is that there are a lot of options out there. All you need to do is scan the Market for backup options. Most Phone Anti-Virus solutions (which are now also a necessity) have backup options too.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
There should be a way to dump the entire flash storage of an iPhone or Android device without being jailbroken/rooted. And I mean A COMPLETE DUMP, system and everything. Then when the technician says "delete everything since you can restore it EXACTLY the way it was, sector by sector, and everything will be stored in a .bak file on your computer", the consumer will have absolutely no problem.

One possible issue would be if the consumer thinks they need 64 GB of storage (or more), and would result in a 64 GB file. I know I don't have 64 GB laying around, and would be pretty troublesome making room... 8-16 GB shouldn't be a problem.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Zune makes a backup of my phone every time it updates the OS, and I can make forced backups as well .... and I can do the same in the nokia software for my symbian phone ... I thought backup was a standard feature like image sync ...

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
here is why you don't: if you use an iPhone or android, all the critical stuff like contacts, calendar and e-mail are set to be synched with the server (gmail has is, exchange has it...) other fluf like pics and music are copied to your PC anyway whnever you plug it in: that's your Backup.

End of story

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Hmm data backup for my Android has never been a problem, I dont know why this should be such an issue.

A. Make sure I install an "App Backup" application and have all apps backed up to sd card.
B. Make sure all pictures, contacts, messages, etc.. have been exported to my ssd (fairly easy and should not require any special app to do this).
C. Connect my phone to my server via usb.
D. Open drive for phone and copy entire directory to a backup location on my raided server drives.

This allows me to have just about everything on the phone backed up without buying any extra app or subscribing to any service. After a factory reset I just copy my backed up directory to my phone and Im ready to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.