Wi-Fi connects but cannot access Internet - Not so simple.

dondreak

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
I have the same problem on my wife's desktop that was mentioned in probably about 1000+ articles including this one here... http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3232661/internet-works-laptop-connect-laptop-wifi-valid-configuration-lapt.html

Life is not always so simple. I have done every trick in the Microsoft book... except for finding something that fixes the problem. The USB Wifi I installed sees all the surrounding Wireless connections, mine, our ISP wifi and all the neighbors. It connects to ours but cannot get to the internet. Below I have listed all the things I have tried using my 35+ years of computer support, yep even back to the mainframe days. Does anyone have a suggestion not on the list below? If not, thank you for taking your time to read my post.

- Tried -
A true full reset of the Wifi and ISP routers - 30+ seconds unplugged not just powered off.
Released and Renewed the Address.
NetSh Winsock and IP resets
Removed all hardware and Re-added it.
Updated Drivers
Tried a cable and a USB wireless adapter that was installed after the fact.
Hard Coded the IP address
Used the Windows, Internet and Network Troubleshooters
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
sfc /scannow
Disabling APIPA - It's the only address we get. When it was disabled we didn't get any address.
Manually configuring the Settings and the Windows 10 version of setting the settings.

Take Care, Cheers!
Kevin

"Does anyone have a suggestion not on the list below?"

Different router mate - - - has to be worth a try - - may be you could borrow one before shelling out for a new one?

I had same problem with an accursed Netgear router - - - fine on ethernet - - fine on WiFi up to a point if all you needed was local network access.

Replaced it with a Billion router, hey presto, everything connected.