Wifi adapter driver causing "System Service Exception" bluescreens?

hyou0079

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
Hi.

Recently I reformatted my Asus g73JH Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, as it was suffering from driver issues. This was back in January, and it was acting fine for a while. Recently however, I've begun experiencing "System Service Exception" bluescreens, and I can't quite figure out what to do about them.

A friend gave me a program called Bluescreen-viewer to help diagnose the issue at hand. I pulled two minidump files generated by the most recent bluescreens, and the results always bring up the same three items in red. I would post the images themselves but I am unable to successfully attach the screenshots of Bluescreen viewer's results to this post

Second Most Recent Bluescreen:

Filename | Address in Stack | Product Name
afd.sys | afd.sys+246a | Microsoft Windows Operating System
NETw5s64.sys | NETw5s64.sys+72edc0 | Intel Wireless WiFi Link Adapter
ntoskrnl.exe | ntoskrnl.exe+b4729 | Microsoft Windows Operating System

Caused by Driver: afd.sys

Most Recent Bluescreen:

Filename | Address in Stack | Product Name
afd.sys | afd.sys+246a | Microsoft Windows Operating System
NETw5s64.sys | NETw5s64.sys+3555ec | Intel Wireless WiFi Link Adapter
ntoskrnl.exe | ntoskrnl.exe+b4729 | Microsoft Windows Operating System

Caused by Driver: NETw5s64.sys

As I'm not highly computer-savy, I suspect that somehow there's an issue being caused by the wifi adapter driver that came as part of my laptop's pre-installed media. I don't know if that means uninstalling and reinstalling a download of the same driver off of ASUS' website (this laptop does NOT take kindly to any driver issued by anybody other than ASUS' own website) would solve the issue, but there are 4 drivers listed under this laptop's device manager and I can't quite pinpoint what I'm supposed to replace with the wifi driver downloaded from said website.

Intel(R) Centrino(R) WiMAX adapters
-Intel(R) Centrino(R) WiMAX 6250 Function Driver

Network Adapters
-Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
-Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN
-Intel(R) Centrino(R) WiMAX 6250

None of the above in the Device Manager match up with what I find on ASUS' website on the drivers section for my specific laptop model:

Intel(R) WiFi Wireless LAN Driver
WiMAX Wireless LAN Driver

I very much HOPE this is just a driver issue that can be easily resolved, these bluescreens are occurring while I work and costing me valuable time and progress.

Solution
You have 3 entries in your device manager pertaining to intel centrino WiMAX 6250 AG, usually one is the main if you right click uninstall and delete the driver through device manager the 2 others would get updated accordingly ( disappear !) if you hit the right one or they might all be linked together, if not uninstall them one by one, make sure your windows driver installation setting does not allow automatic re-installation of drivers ( windows start search box type " change drivers installation settings" disable online and auto driver install ), so you could update - after a precautionary reboot- with your own drivers either the latest from asus >>>...

hyou0079

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017

Thank you, but that's for Windows 10, my laptop uses Windows 7.

hyou0079

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017

I'm unclear what the graphics driver would have to do with this since Bluescreen-viewer clearly identifies the Wifi Link Adapter as the source of the issue

R0GG

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
You have 3 entries in your device manager pertaining to intel centrino WiMAX 6250 AG, usually one is the main if you right click uninstall and delete the driver through device manager the 2 others would get updated accordingly ( disappear !) if you hit the right one or they might all be linked together, if not uninstall them one by one, make sure your windows driver installation setting does not allow automatic re-installation of drivers ( windows start search box type " change drivers installation settings" disable online and auto driver install ), so you could update - after a precautionary reboot- with your own drivers either the latest from asus >>> http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WIFI/WiFi_WiFifamily_WIN7_64_z13215.zip or if it did failed you before go with intel's own driver+utility : >> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/27051/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-WiMAX-Connection-Utility-and-Drivers-for-Intel-Centrino-Advanced-N-WiMAX-6250?httpDown=https%3A%2F%2Fdownloadmirror.intel.com%2F27051%2Fa08%2FWiMAX_Win7_64_7.5.0.exe for windows 7 64 bit, both you could elect to install just the bare drivers and discard the utilities ( might need some more work).
At times chronology of updates installation might inflict on previously installed ones.
Check this thread out : Asus Windows 7 Laptop gets Random BlueScreen Shutdowns, >> https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/fff66c37-9a06-4b06-92e2-06348d6db8d3/asus-windows-7-laptop-gets-random-bluescreen-shutdowns?forum=w7itprohardware

Solution