Wifi not working, drivers installed.

mazzulmaz

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
Hey guys, I have a V3-571G Acer laptop and recently swapped out the hard drive for an SSD, installed windows on it from a disc (7, 64bit) and put the drivers on a USB stick and installed them, but while I installed the WLAN driver (the Broadcomm Wireless one), and while I can now see all the connections in range, I remain unable to connect to my home's Wifi and I'm 100% sure I entered the password correctly. Already tried turning stuff off and on again.

Any hints?

mazzulmaz

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014

Yes, everyting worked fine beforehand.

I don't really get an error message, just the pointer than Windows failed to connect to the wireless network. When I troubleshoot the only thing it does is telling me to turn the router off and on again, and gives no other options.

Dashing_star

Estimable
Feb 5, 2015
Solution

In this case, your WiFi is not faulty! This usually happens when the SSID has been changed.
Explanations:
SSID (Service Set Identifier), is the name assigned to the wireless network (for identification purposes). When you connect to a wireless network and choose to save it, the SSID and the security key of the network is stored in the PC in the "Wireless Networks Manager".
This allows the PC to automatically connect to the Wi-Fi network, when available.
If SSID is changed, the PC recognizes and connects to the modem, but internet won't work because of a conflict between the old SSID and the new on (both stored on your PC).

Reset the SSID:
The solution is quite simple, just delete the old SSID from the list of networks in the "Wireless Network Manager":
Open the Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center
Click "Manage wireless networks"
In the window that opens, select the network with the old SSID and then click on "Remove"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop Tech Support 0
MrRyan2582 Laptop Tech Support 3
G Laptop Tech Support 5
Srijal Kc Laptop Tech Support 2
J Laptop Tech Support 3
F Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 12
H Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 4
S Laptop Tech Support 1