Will a laptop with a bad keyboard even boot?

droidling

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
I just got a new Gigabyte P57W v6. I started setting up Windows 10, and got to the first prompt where I needed to type something and couldn't type a single character. I tried several function keys and got no response. Backed up to one of the combo boxes and tried cursor keys. Still no response. Finally rebooted and tried the del key to get into the BIOS. Nada.

I was under the impression that a computer would not post if it couldn't find a keyboard. Has the advent of touch screens changed that? Is it possible I need to enable the keyboard before using it?

I know it sounds crazy but I'm grasping at straws here, and Gigabyte tech support is closed until morning.... No 24/7 tech support. I wonder if I should take that as the writing on the wall?

A lack of a keyboard shouldn't stop POST (in 2016 anyway, historically it would've).

Is there a keyboard shortcut (usually Fn + F#) that enables/disables the keyboard? Try that. It's possible you're lacking a driver and it'll fix itself as soon as your online.......unfortunately, you'll need a USB keyboard in the meantime to test that theory out.

droidling

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007

"Fn+F#" isn't making sense to me. Is that Fn + <shift> + f then 3 at the same time? I tried as many combinations around that as I can think of with no joy.

droidling

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007

OK. That makes sense now. Unfortunately tried all of them without any success. I'm going to wait for Techsupport in the morning before trying a USB keyboard. This isn't the first one of these they have sold. I have a hard time believing they would have a default installation without an essential driver.

droidling

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007

Tech Support said to send it back. Probably a disconnected cable.

This is my first Gigabyte computer. Not exactly auspicious beginnings. Do they have a reasonably good reputation? I don't want to hold a single mistake against them, but if they are know to be unreliable I might ask for a refund rather than a replacement.