Will an intel Celeron be up to it?

JackST

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Basically I'm looking to pick up a 13" laptop very soon for travelling to and from university.
I first looked at core i3 laptops but noticed the cheaper Celeron laptops popping up.

What I wanted to know is will the Celeron perform well enough for every day tasks? 720p video, word processing etc? I'd prefer to spend the money I save on an SSD.
Also when the next version of windows comes out, will it be able to support it easily?
Thanks

Solution
I would try and get a Core i3 for the chip.

Also realize that by going with the 13.3" display, you have a more limited choice of computers, and will pay a premium for it. You may wish to consider a 14" display as there are more models with this size, and often at not such a premium.

Cmlalibe

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014
I would agree with the above at least Pentium and keep your computer clean and simple as possible. Or if you must stick with the Celeron only one thing at a time for optimal performance:)

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
I would try and get a Core i3 for the chip.

Also realize that by going with the 13.3" display, you have a more limited choice of computers, and will pay a premium for it. You may wish to consider a 14" display as there are more models with this size, and often at not such a premium.

Solution

Tony55909

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
I use a Celeron N2830 with 4GB ram for writing and research and find that it is more than capable for those purposes. It can also handle Dragon Naturally Speaking for short dictation. Otherwise, it is fine for basic Internet tasks. Sometimes I would like a more powerful system, but this one was only $250 new and has served me pretty well so far. I think it's best to get the cheapest system that will meet your needs. If all you're doing with the video is watching it you should be fine.