Solved! Will comcast charge me to activate a device I bought from someone else

Solution
If the digital receiver you purchased on E-Bay was originally a Comcast Digital Receiver, then they may refuse to activate it (as it should have never been sold in the first place), or they may simply start charging you a rental fee.

If the digital receiver you purchased on E-Bay was NOT originally a Comcast Digital Receiver, but it meets their required specifications (don't ask), then they *may* activate it for you. They *may* charge you a fee for activation, but in my case (for my Internet Cable Modem), they did not.

-Wolf sends

blondie_19

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

I have tivo dvr dual tuners and U have to a cable box with a/v outlets and Comcast only gives U 1 with a/v outlets and two smaller ones without a/v outlets I just figured I would buy them instead of paying them every month for renting them but I guess I'm still screwed. I never had a problem till they went to the boxes and I don"t think its right to have to pay for the boxes when U just have basic cable. Its all about the money anymore.

If the digital receiver you purchased on E-Bay was originally a Comcast Digital Receiver, then they may refuse to activate it (as it should have never been sold in the first place), or they may simply start charging you a rental fee.

If the digital receiver you purchased on E-Bay was NOT originally a Comcast Digital Receiver, but it meets their required specifications (don't ask), then they *may* activate it for you. They *may* charge you a fee for activation, but in my case (for my Internet Cable Modem), they did not.

-Wolf sends

Solution

captswamprat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011

If you purchased this device off ebay or from some one else etc....comcast will not activate it period. That device from what ever market (orignal location it was supposed to used in, certain town/state) will be in a k status which on the comcast netowrk is a flag for stolen or lost device. I only know all this being a comcast employee. You cant use digital box that was built (the serial numbers) for that cable system where you live. Technical the box has the capablility to work in your area but comcast wont activate it though. bc the seriel number wont show up in the system that areas system to be used. sorry you wasted your money for buying them. and just a heads up the small boxes yoru refering to are dta's. Wil the all ADS (all digital switch-over) comcast will allow you to have 1 cable box, hd box, or dvr for the regualr price and up to 2 dtas free, or 3 free dtas if you have no cable boxes in your home. each additional dta is 1.99 if that helps too.