Will Core 2 Duo T9500 work in HP 6820s?

spearknigh

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Hello,
I have a HP Compaq 6820s laptop with Core 2 Duo T5470 cpu in it. I would like to replace it with something better because it feels slow. The 4 best cpus that are listed in manual are : T7700, T7800, T8300, T9300. However, there is one that isn't listed in manual, the T9500. Basically, it's T9300 with 100mhz boost.

I know that if I would upgrade to any of the 45nm cpus, I would have to update the BIOS. But I don't know, if the BIOS is made only for cpus listed in manual or any cpu of its generation (i.e. any of the 45nm Penryn cpus will work including T9500).

So, will T9500 work in it or should I go for the T9300?

Solution
it should be able to, they're of the same socket but then again upgrading CPUs in laptops aren't easy. One time i upgraded from a Pentium to an i5 in my laptop and it would turn on w/ the i5 but the screen would stay black and wouldn't boot.

KiiDPoLo98

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
it should be able to, they're of the same socket but then again upgrading CPUs in laptops aren't easy. One time i upgraded from a Pentium to an i5 in my laptop and it would turn on w/ the i5 but the screen would stay black and wouldn't boot.

Solution

spearknigh

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

Tell me about it....

I wanted to upgrade to T9300 or preferably to T9500 but after last few days I kinda don't want to. Some guy was selling older CPUs, one of them was T8300. I bought it, plus everything else needed (thermal paste / pad, isopropyl).

So, the entire process of changing CPU was followed after issue after issue. Disassemble was painful. Just look at it (not mine). Managed to bend keyboard because of the "genius" way how is held in place (there are 2 small pins at right side + double sided tape, so you can't just pull it up like manual says). Broke several pegs / spuds (whatever they are called) that hold to cover. There is this channel? that WIFI wires fits it. Those are pain to take out / put in. New CPU have different temperatures between the 2 cores (7-10 degrees C idle, 5 C load). Nearly completely stripped screw because of the amount of time that I had to take on and off the heatsink. You have to put fan back in first because one of the 2 screws that holds it is bellow motherboard. There is this tape on fan, that you seriously have to take off before putting back motherboard, otherwise it would act as obstacle.

And worst of all, I forgot to check and try to do some test before taking it apart. So I don't know how much performance i've gained.

However, there are some positive things about this. CPU temperature is lower. 30/39 C idle, 48/53 load, before it was 40~45 C idle, 65 C load.

So, after last few days, I probably ain't gonna change CPU in this laptop anymore.