Will FRAPS drop FPS if I game on SSD but record to HDD?

thecolombianjesus

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hey guys. I'm building my very first system soon and am getting a 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD as well as a 1 TB Western Digital Blue HDD. I will start recording gameplay videos and will be editing/rendering them myself and uploading them to youtube. I will be using Fraps to record. I have used it in the past when I used to make youtube videos, but it would just drop my FPS by so much since I only had 1 HDD that I just stopped.

My question is if I were to save a game on my SSD and then recorded straight to my HDD, would it give me FPS drops? I also have a external hard drive laying around my house somewhere if that would be a better setup than recording to an internal one.

All your help is appreciated! :)

envy14tpe

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
If you are worried about fps drop, then why don't you save the files to your SSD? They aren't like 20gb or more files, are they? You don't have to save everything (including programs and games) to SSD. I put OS, programs, and my two main games on my SSD....everything else goes to HDD.

thecolombianjesus

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Fraps files are huge. A single 1 minute video can be like 5 GB or more. I will only be saving important games/programs and the OS on the SSD. Everything else will go on the HDD. If I record to the SSD it will take up a bunch of space.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I would suspect that your hardware will play a more important roll then just the hard drives.
You need fast cpu and lots of ram and a fast video card.
I have done a few 1080p with my current system and it was not too bad considering I have an old E-8400...
Best of luck!

thecolombianjesus

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I will be running a i7 3770k with a GTX 670, so I'm hoping they will do okay ;)

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Should be fine; However you might want to think about using a 2nd "LOW" end SSD to record to and work on the video file then Move to a HDD when don with them.

Low End SSD = Asynchronous nand. ie agility III, or better yet the agility IV - NOT I'm Not a lover of these drives and do not normally recommend.

Little bit on SSDs.
I have the 256 Gig Samsung 840 Pro, I also have a 256 gig M4 and a 256 gig Samsung 830. There is a big diff in AS SSD Score; the 830 and M4 score around 700's, and the 840 Pro around 100->1200. Big diff however this does NOT translate to anywhere near that ration in real life performance - I noticed very little real live performance difference.
The 840 pro is my top choice depending on price, But if a larger 256 Crucial M4 or a Samsung 80 can be obtained for say only about $40 bucks more than the 840 - Go for the M4/830 (830's getting scares) also newegg just had a sale on the 256 gig M4 for $160 BUT SOLD OUT VERY QUICKLY.
Primary reason for getting he 840 Pro was NOT performance (not impressed by SSD benchmark scores), But the fact that it has about the lowest power consumption which for a laptop can play a factor in battery life.