Will laptop power supply affect performance?

moregood

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
I have repeated this experiment on a number of laptops and computers and reached the same conclusion.

Benchmarking the gpu using unigine valley or heaven and getting a score.
Then loading the cpu with prime95 and running the gpu benchmark.
And getting a horrible score.

For example on my current laptop I am getting 31 fps (score of 1298) on valley.
And while running prime 95 valley drops to 8 frames per second.

I know that on all motherboards cpu power supply takes priority over the gpu (so gpu stalls if there isn't enough going to the cpu).

On desktops the frame drop is very small something like 5-10% not 75%. So I think that there is not enough power to power both cpu and gpu at 100%

I am just wondering if I replace my current power adapter (90 watt 19 volt) with something like 120-150 watt, would it improve performance?

Solution
cpu-s are designed to a max tdp. it will prioritize cpu cores and what's left goes to the gpu inside the cpu. desktops have more headroom whereas laptop cpu-s are more strict (so this is more visible on a laptop cpu). there's nothing that you can do to bypass this behavior it's embedded on the cpu itself and doesn't depend on the power adapter.

(to put it into context... it's like having a low power S series desktop cpu and getting a bigger power supply for it hoping it will increase the enforced 45W power limit on the cpu. it won't work.

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
cpu-s are designed to a max tdp. it will prioritize cpu cores and what's left goes to the gpu inside the cpu. desktops have more headroom whereas laptop cpu-s are more strict (so this is more visible on a laptop cpu). there's nothing that you can do to bypass this behavior it's embedded on the cpu itself and doesn't depend on the power adapter.

(to put it into context... it's like having a low power S series desktop cpu and getting a bigger power supply for it hoping it will increase the enforced 45W power limit on the cpu. it won't work.

Solution