Will my 2 year old laptop be slow after 5 years?

RedLine05

Honorable
Dec 25, 2016
I currently have a Samsung ATIV Book 8. It has a i7 4710hq(not haswell refresh), GT 750M, 8gb ddr3l ram, a 256gb ssd, and a 1080p screen. It is a 2 year old laptop, but it has 3 year old hardware.
I normally browse the internet, watch Youtube videos, create documents and powerpoints. The things I do on my laptop isn't hardware demanding.
But it overheats even though I don't do demanding tasks. And Samsung stopped releasing drivers for my laptop.
Will my 2 year old laptop be slow after 5 years?

P.S. I will stay on Windows 10.

Solution
For newer drivers you can get them from the manufacturer of each component: like gpu drivers from Nvidia, chipset from Intel, and so on. I agree that you probably need to clean the heatsink and would add that you may need to apply new thermal paste. For what you are doing that laptop is plenty fast, heck I still have a Dell E6500 with a Core 2 Duo T9400 and can do pretty much any web surfing and watch videos except for 1080p youtube. You could also try undervolting your cpu with throttlestop by TechPowerUp https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/ . I run my cpu with 0.1V less than stock and it runs much cooler allowing it to run at max turbo boost.

InvalidError

Distinguished
It shouldn't get any slower than it already is if you don't do anything new in it or install any new bloatware that runs in the background. You may need to clean the CPU heatsink so the CPU doesn't overheat and throttle due to heatsink/fan clogging though.

utroz

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
For newer drivers you can get them from the manufacturer of each component: like gpu drivers from Nvidia, chipset from Intel, and so on. I agree that you probably need to clean the heatsink and would add that you may need to apply new thermal paste. For what you are doing that laptop is plenty fast, heck I still have a Dell E6500 with a Core 2 Duo T9400 and can do pretty much any web surfing and watch videos except for 1080p youtube. You could also try undervolting your cpu with throttlestop by TechPowerUp https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/ . I run my cpu with 0.1V less than stock and it runs much cooler allowing it to run at max turbo boost.

Solution