Will my old speakers work with my PC's sound card

Krz777

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Hey guys, I am new here and right now I am facing some complications. I have one Sony mini HiFi music system(777rs) which is having 4 speakers (2 hopwoofers and 2 surround channels) with an output of 4400w in pmpo. And the major problem here is the system component of the Sony is not working properly because of the motherboard issues in which its audio areas (I dont know what you guys call that) on motherboard is not working so obviously the bass and everything is not working properly and in current situation the system is not possible for servicing or repairing because of the unavailability of the spares.

So here I am thinking that if I could able to make use of these speakers with my PC would be very nice. So here I am facing some complications that

Would these speakers work with my PC's sound card (creative 5.1) low budget card. Or for making these speakers compatible with my PC what all things I should buy or is better to go for another speaker system rather than keeping this old one (because I am a great fan of music systems) or I should go for one of the dominant home theater systems other than these music systems? And if I could make use of these speakers without PC as stand alone what type of amplifier should I buy and would this worthy in terms with the output that of Sony's that I had earlier, would it perform well in case of the bass and everything ?

Thanks in advance !! Cheers !! :)

Solution
Speakers really hasn't changed since they invented them.

Is very simple, soundcard's output is unamplified, so speakers must be self-amplified (plug into AC), if not, then you must insert some kind of amplifier between soundcard and speakers. Just buy any amp you like of similar wattage capacity.
Speakers really hasn't changed since they invented them.

Is very simple, soundcard's output is unamplified, so speakers must be self-amplified (plug into AC), if not, then you must insert some kind of amplifier between soundcard and speakers. Just buy any amp you like of similar wattage capacity.

Solution

Krz777

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Thanks jsmith... Well appreciated your reply and another thing I wanna know is that..its been few years now the speakers aren't in use, So would there be any trouble for the diaphragm of the speakers and would there be any problem for the magnets inside if I buy a new amplifier would it function well with the old speakers. Would anything affect the condition of the speakers ?

3 things that can happened to speakers:

Stored in freezing and/or super-hot environment, the cones may have dried and needs re-conditioning, only worth it if these are some kind of vintage, rare, super-performing speakers.

Damped environment store cause corrosion.

Attacked by critters.

Krz777

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
I am from India and apparently nothing is visible on the speakers in which it is placed on the top of a tv stand and I dont think its freezing cold or super hot here. Its kinda normal hot varies from 28-38°c for these years and some times it touches 42°c which is very rare. And I do like the output of these 4 boxes(speakers) and could you suggest something if I could use to check its condition before buying the amp.. Or should I dump it totally!? Am very much obsessed with these! :( I need your help! And thanks for relpying :)

TRENDING THREADS