Will the GPU Upgrade too?

Anfernee Jervis

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad edge e535 and I want to upgrade my CPU of my laptop. Its an AMD A4-4300m and I checked the socket type and found out I can upgrade to the A10-4600m. However the Laptop has integrated graphics. I opened the laptop once to see whats inside and i saw two chips under the heat sink, I know one is the CPU inside the socket but i dont know what the other one is. Is it the data hub? The GPU? Im wondering this because the description of the CPU says that it comes with the Radeon HD 7670g. If i upgrade will i get this new graphics card? Is the chip next to the CPU the hub or the GPU?

Solution
You have an apu. An apu is a hybrid of cpu/gpu made for budget gamers and laptop users. Once you upgrade your "apu" the gpu will also be better for example:

A6 5400k= dual or quad cpu (not sure) and a 6450
That is bad for gaming.

A8 5600k= quad core cpu and 6570
This is ok for gaming but at the lowest settings.

A10 5800k= x4 750k (quad core cpu) and 6670
This can run games well on low.

So as you can see you dont need to upgrade your gpu as you apu has a processor and an igpu. If you were to get an a10 you will run games well but on very low settings. Also you computer may not have a pci e slot so it may not be possible. Personally id suggest the upgrade.

Welshstig

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
You have an apu. An apu is a hybrid of cpu/gpu made for budget gamers and laptop users. Once you upgrade your "apu" the gpu will also be better for example:

A6 5400k= dual or quad cpu (not sure) and a 6450
That is bad for gaming.

A8 5600k= quad core cpu and 6570
This is ok for gaming but at the lowest settings.

A10 5800k= x4 750k (quad core cpu) and 6670
This can run games well on low.

So as you can see you dont need to upgrade your gpu as you apu has a processor and an igpu. If you were to get an a10 you will run games well but on very low settings. Also you computer may not have a pci e slot so it may not be possible. Personally id suggest the upgrade.

Solution

Anfernee Jervis

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

So the chip under the heatsink along with the CPU was the data hub?

Welshstig

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I would need to see it if to tell you but it really doesn't because when you upgrade you apu it comes with an i gpu.

Edit: the igpu is literally in the cpu so you dont need to replace the gpu.

If you know the laptop only uses an integrated graphics chip / core (iGPU), then upgrading the APU will also upgrade the iGPU. However, you should check to see if the new APU will be recognized by the laptop's BIOS. If the BIOS does not recognize the new APU, then the laptop may not boot up or it may run at lower than expected clockspeed. You can always try calling Lenovo to find out.

"APU" is just something AMD came up will to differentiate their CPUs with an integrated graphics core (Llano, Trinity, Richland) verses CPUs with not integrated graphics (FX, Phenom II, etc.).

All modern Intel CPUs have integrated graphics, but Intel just calls them CPUs.