Will this 5.1 Surround System work with my motherboard?

Ferrariassassin

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014
Solution

Yes, it will work fine. Connect it over HDMI, configure the speakers, and enjoy!

EDIT: Can that, it looks like it doesn't have HDMI Input, just output. You'll have to use optical and combine that with a sound card that supports Dolby Digital Live to encode surround sound to a Dolby...

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Yes, it will work fine. Connect it over HDMI, configure the speakers, and enjoy!

EDIT: Can that, it looks like it doesn't have HDMI Input, just output. You'll have to use optical and combine that with a sound card that supports Dolby Digital Live to encode surround sound to a Dolby Digital bitstream in real time. Get a receiver that has HDMI input.

Solution

Ferrariassassin

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014

Well my Sorround sound has 1 HDMI out and 1 optical audio out and my motherboard has one HDMI out and one optical audio out. Allso will this motherboard work also? I may pick it instead
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128724&cm_re=H97-_-13-128-724-_-Product

Either motherboard will work fine.

The problem, HDMI wise, it isn't the motherboard but the home theater in a box(HTiB) setup you have since it doesn't have a HDMI input.
With analog, HDMI and Display port, you can get true/discreet surround sound. You can't with optical(S/PDIF). S/PDIF only can do uncompressed audio up to 2.1. Anything over 2.1 is compressed and simulated surround.

Most HTiB systems are of poor quality. You're better off getting a AVR and some decent regular home stereo type speakers.

Having said that, you can still can get simulated surround from your HTiB. Use your optical out from mobo to the HTiB. It will then take that signal and then it will give you simulated surround sound. You don't need a sound card.

Happy surround, the Prisoner...