Will Watching 4:3 on 16:9 LCD Cause Burn-In?

quietlycreeping

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Just purchased my first HDTV (Samsung UN46D6500) - a LCD/LED display. At the moment I do not subscribe to any HD content so all my cable channels are SD or 4:3 format. I really hated the stretched out look and changed the display from 16:9 to 4:3 so at least the picture looked somewhat normal. However, upon reading the user's guide - it states "not to set your TV to 4:3 for a long time." It goes on to say the borders surrounding the video may cause image retention (screen burn). Has anyone had problems in this regard? Am I stuck watching the stretched picture in 16:9? Any thoughts or opinions?

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
In very very extreme cases an LCD could get uneven wear on those activated pixels. On a consumer level, no, you never have to worry about it. The ONLY exception to this would be a Local dimming LED LCD TVs. These LEDs on the edges would be permanently shut of, thus making the wear on the edge led banks uneven. Edge lit sets, or CCFL are unaffected. Bottom line, your light source will expire before you burn it in.