Will xlr record more background than usb

MrKino

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
I want to get at2035 but its xlr and im afraid if xlr record background more than at2020 usb i know they are condiencer mics but which record less background i don't mean static noise i mean computer fans and family

Solution
heres a few quick differences between the 2020 and 2035 http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/how-at2035-superior-at2020-353299/

basically the 2035 is slightly superior and will have less background hiss. both are cardioid mics which have a pickup pattern directly in front of the mic in a heart shaped zone while rejecting much of the noise to the sides and rear.

as for xlr vs usb.. both can be used and neither is going to affect what sources the mic picks up as this has more to do with the pickup pattern of the mic, whether you use shock mounts or other equipment and whether you have noise cancellation or not. usb is more convenient for quick plug and play operation without requiring extra hardware however xlr and...
heres a few quick differences between the 2020 and 2035 http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/how-at2035-superior-at2020-353299/

basically the 2035 is slightly superior and will have less background hiss. both are cardioid mics which have a pickup pattern directly in front of the mic in a heart shaped zone while rejecting much of the noise to the sides and rear.

as for xlr vs usb.. both can be used and neither is going to affect what sources the mic picks up as this has more to do with the pickup pattern of the mic, whether you use shock mounts or other equipment and whether you have noise cancellation or not. usb is more convenient for quick plug and play operation without requiring extra hardware however xlr and using an audio interface puts controls such as gain and volume right at your fingertips instead of being software controlled. either is a good choice depending on your specific needs and plans.

Solution
as i said before... both the 2020 and 2035 use a cardioid pickup pattern so will be similar in that they pick up sound only in one zone while ignoring sound from zones outside this pickup pattern. ideally correct placement of the mic will take care of (most) of your possible audio interferences and not having sounds in your mic pickup zone is going to result in less problems.

you want the mic 3-4 inches from your mouth with a pop filtr, not 2-3 feet away sitting on your desk. use a microphone stand. the mic should be much closer to you than any other sources of noise. many people make the mistake of buying a sensitive microphone then putting it on their desk and complaining it picks up everything (its doing its job).

if you absolutely must do this then there are programs which can edit out such things on the fly. or if you produce videos you can remove such things post production (although not having them to begin with is easier)

the 2035 will have less static and self noise though is also more sensitive and can pick up quieter sounds. this means that potentially the 2035 might capture things the at2020 may not but also has higher quality sound to it as well. with that said you can control much of what is picked up (within reason) by the mic sliders within windows as well as the noise cancellation features in the enhancements tab.

since the 2035 is more sensitive it will pick up things like your keyboard and fans more readily than the 2020 however proper placement of the mic and other components can solve much of this. the 2020 might not pick up as much however will be a little more noisy from self-noise. again, you can affect what gets picked up via volume, gain and enhancements as well.

the fact that one is xlr and one is usb has no bearing on the above other than usb mics tend to have more electrical self noise. the at2020 is available in xlr and usb.

MrKino

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

Im not sure but its corsair vengeance 16gb 2400mhz i think its cas 11 not sure but kingston cas 9 1866 mhz 8gb i will do video editing alot

in that case i would go with the 1866/9 since the difference is not too large although the faster 2400 still wins out very slightly (your choice there). however gskill does have 2133/9 which goes on sale from time to time for low prices which would be better yet and would certainly be worthwhile as an upgrade if its not much more expensive.

generally this http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7364/Performance%20Index_575px.png although in all actuality the performance gains are quite minimal so its not worth spending *big* cash upgrading. you will notice a difference on long renders and edits but once you get past the 1600/9 threshold (up from say 1333 and slower) the gains get much much smaller.

basically its not worth spending big cash on fast ram over a certain limit. just go with what the fastest ram you can buy at your budget is.

also i'd personally say go with either corsair, gskill or mushkin ram myself. your choice though.