Win 10 Home - MBR Error only on restart sometimes

GregS0125

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
So, this issue started a while back, (not sure exactly how long, 2 months maybe). I restarted my PC because I game on this rig and leave it running most of the time and only occasionally restart it. When I restart the PC it tells me: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change may be the cause. Status: 0xc000000f Info: An unexpected error has occured." Note this ONLY happens when I restart the computer, most of the time.

MFer: Asus
Model: GL502VS (7th Gen)
Drives: Disk 0 (DATA) 1 TB HDD NTFS
Disk 1 (NVMe) SSD NTFS (Boot drive)

Troubleshooting attempts:

1) Attempted to reinstall the OS from the recovery partition. Computer hangs at splash screen and never loads the recovery options.

2)Attempted install from boot media - Successful, however the problem was not resolved and I was faced with an additional issue, now I could not update.

3) Created new recovery media using the media creation tool. Reinstallation success and I am on the correct version of Windows 10 - Version 1709 (Installation media on option 1 was 1511)

4) Attempted to rebuild the MBR and BCD in elevated command prompt - Failed, bootrec /Fixboot gives the errror "Access Denied". I am also told the c:\windows\boot does not exist.

I have tried everything I can to fix this issue. If you have any idea what I can do please let me know. Thank you.

Paul NZ

Admirable
Does this have a TPM module on it for bitlocker? I think the error you're getting, can be caused by it

If you go to device manager is there an entry called security devices? If there is, is there an entry for trusted platform module
under / in it?