Window Phone 7 Won't Support Multitasking

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Microsoft won't initially support multitasking.

But it is very likely to change at WP7 launch due to Apple's iPhone 4.0 OS supporting multitasking.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Looks like good news for Android I guess. I'm shocked they won't include this.

I can already hear the Appleboys changing their ammo from "multi-tasking isn't needed!" to "M$ FAILs they don't even have the super amazing multi-tasking that Steve Jobs invented in 2010!" for when the iPhone gets it.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Just sell the phone without an OS and let the owner decide what to run. By the way what is the start up time of Windows Phone 7? I am just asking because I had the misfortune to own one of the original Windows Phones a Samsung c500 and it took ages to boot up.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Whether or not this sucks depends on how Microsoft implements their version of fake multitasking. From what I have heard, it sounds like when you switch from an application, that app's current state will be saved into memory and re-loaded next time you start it up. Basically, every time you leave an app, it pauses. Supposedly the App can still receive notifications using the Push Notification API service. So if this is implemented really well, it could actually be better than multitasking. Consider your playing a game and you get a call, it would be nice if when you leave the game its essentially paused and does not use up any energy while you are on your phone call or checking your email or whatever. But yeah, on the other hand I can see a lot of scenarios where you would want the application to be able to keep running in the background.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I'm very dissapointed at the mobile win 7. I have an lg incite wich is windows mobile 6.1, and my only complaint is slow hardware and no multitouch, other than that I love it. I'm disapointed with the new windows. I understand they are trying to copy apple because it's so succesfull, but there is a big following of full fledged operating systems.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]I'm very dissapointed at the mobile win 7. I have an lg incite wich is windows mobile 6.1, and my only complaint is slow hardware and no multitouch, other than that I love it. I'm disapointed with the new windows. I understand they are trying to copy apple because it's so succesfull, but there is a big following of full fledged operating systems.[/citation]sorry, but you make no sense at all. What does 6.1 have to do with 7?

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
WTF, not the great Microbloat who is convicted monopolist and makes it's OS's with the help of the FEDS to ensure their built in back doors work properly and stay secret through encryption.

techktl

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
@dreamphantom_1977

Why is it that when a new product comes out, someone has to be "copying" apple? So would you appreciate it if only apple came out with new designs and new products, and everyone else just stay back? Opinions like yours makes no sense to me. This interface is actually better than apple's interface in my opinion!!

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
This interface looks great for insomniacs, no more sleepless nights, just stare at this monochromatic 80's style interface for a few seconds and a good nights sleep is guaranteed.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Gotta love all the hate us iPhone people got over no multitasking, and how MS's is echoing the same reasons why we said the iPhone doesn't have it. Sure, thumb me down, doesn't change the facts, nor wipe the grin off of my face :)

josh lisse

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Whats with all the negativity? Who needs to multi-task on a phone??
If it has a substantially negative effect on battery wouldn't it be better not to have true multi-tasking? The OS looks great as far as I can tell, looks alot like the zune hd one, which is great. Finally not just an unoriginal iphone copy. Anyway, the multi-taskingless I-phone has done pretty well this far...

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Lol :) MS fanboys braze for impact :) So much trash talk about how iPhone does not have multitasking and now MS just slapped them in the face with a wet and dirty towel.
Now let hear all the justifications of how actually multi processing is bad for the battery life, something that Apple said a year ago. Ironic...

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]I'm very dissapointed at the mobile win 7. I have an lg incite wich is windows mobile 6.1, and my only complaint is slow hardware and no multitouch, other than that I love it. I'm disapointed with the new windows. I understand they are trying to copy apple because it's so succesfull, but there is a big following of full fledged operating systems.[/citation]

I would like to know what of Apples iPhone are they copying. There is nothing about the look and feel of the UI that is remotely as bad as the iPhone.

GutPunch

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
[citation][nom]josh lisse[/nom]Whats with all the negativity? Who needs to multi-task on a phone??If it has a substantially negative effect on battery wouldn't it be better not to have true multi-tasking? The OS looks great as far as I can tell, looks alot like the zune hd one, which is great. Finally not just an unoriginal iphone copy. Anyway, the multi-taskingless I-phone has done pretty well this far...[/citation]
Its called choice. People like to be able to choose to do something and realize just how bad the battery drain is on the phone.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]smeker[/nom]Lol MS fanboys braze for impact So much trash talk about how iPhone does not have multitasking and now MS just slapped them in the face with a wet and dirty towel.Now let hear all the justifications of how actually multi processing is bad for the battery life, something that Apple said a year ago. Ironic...[/citation]
If you read, you'll notice that almost no one is saying that. I'm an MS Fanboy in some regard and I think it's stupid. I also think Apple is stupid.

[citation][nom]josh lisse[/nom]Whats with all the negativity? Who needs to multi-task on a phone??If it has a substantially negative effect on battery wouldn't it be better not to have true multi-tasking? The OS looks great as far as I can tell, looks alot like the zune hd one, which is great. Finally not just an unoriginal iphone copy. Anyway, the multi-taskingless I-phone has done pretty well this far...[/citation]

I use Skype, MSN, Opera (w/multi tabs), PuTTY, phone calls, texts and sometimes video calling, every day without fail on a _Nokia_ device. Such devices are well known for their **** battery life. I still manage to get from A->B in my life without charging once in the day (but must do every single night. I usually have at least two of those apps running. I consider my mobile phone my laptop-replacement device now. Unless I'm developing programs, my phone does my laptops entire work, anywhere.

If I didn't have multitasking I'd not have a phone. It's simply just a brick to me if it can't multitask.

Your opinion is foolish and damaging to the needs of those who you disagree with. Very selfish indeed. I for one would have checked out Microsoft branded phones if they had multitasking.

Anyway, back to my lovely Symbian device.

Status
Not open for further replies.