Windows 10 64bit won't recognize my camcorder via firewire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverStag

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015
I'm not really sure where to post this, was debating between this section and windows 10. But I'll post here.

I recently found my old camcorder, circa 2005, Panasonic PV-GS14, with some memorable footage. I want to transfer the footage on the Mini-dv tape to my PC using a firewire. My laptop comes installed with a 4pin firewire and when I connect my camcorder to the PC, it makes a 'ding' noise, acknowledging the device. However, when I try to capture the video on Moviemaker and Sony Vegas, both programs won't recognize my camcorder.

The driver for my firewire is the, Texas Instrument 1394 Compliant Host Controller, driver date is 2006.
I updated it to the 1394 OHCI Host Legacy driver, which dates to 2013.

And the problem still persists. Any suggestions? Would be devastating to leave the footage on a tape without any digital backup.

EDIT: I decided to take basroil's advice, going to purchase a capture device.

Solution
Firewire no longer properly works in Win 10 without dedicated Win 10 drivers (in most cases). If your manufacturer doesn't provide Win 10 drivers, you'll need to revert or get a dedicated capture device.

SilverStag

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015

Thanks for the swift response. It doesn't seem like panasonic has windows 10 drivers for a 10 year old camcorder. Any recommendations on an inexpensive capture device?

Yup, this is why I said "(in most cases". Sometimes that method works, but sometimes it doesn't. Worth giving it a shot, but it won't be as good as if the manufacturer provided a proper driver.

1394 was a security nightmare and useless once fully digital formats became popular, but yes some people are having issues because Windows dropped default support.

SilverStag

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015

That was the method I used when installing the legacy driver. As stated before, the problem still persists.

SilverStag

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015
As in manual do you mean, right clicking the .inf file and clicking install? Then updating the driving itself through the device manager?

I did the steps described as above and it won't work. My PC will acknowledge that the firewire is connected with a ding noise, but that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.