Windows 10 bootable usb infected?

pasi458

Great
Apr 13, 2018
I've been trying to clean my pc after a recent infection so i've tried Dbaning my HDDand clean installing windows... yet i keep getting a recurring virus which is taking up my disk % and slowing my pc down. So i'm wondering perhaps if the usb i install windows with is infected and if it is how did it manage to even get infected?

Solution

Scrolling back...
A virus cannot survive a DBAN of that drive.
A virus cannot survive multiple deletions of all partitions (you did this, correct?)
This Chromium only appears after the install of AVG.
The Chrome browser is a default option in the AVG install.

Either you have corrupted install files from somewhere, or AVG is carrying some of that Chrome stuff with it.

pasi458

Great
Apr 13, 2018
hmm.. well whenever i tried running a antivirus scanner of somesort such as malwarebytes, my pc would get really slow and disk usage would get really high. Also when i looked into the program folder of malwarebytes; i found some newly created files called unins000.exe and unins000.dat

mdd1963

Distinguished
of course disk usage will go up while the scan is being performed.....even a 'quick scan' can take a while with a large spinning drive...

In short, yhou can't gauge cpu usage during the scan, look for mysterious tasks/high cpu usage *after* the scan, and with browsers closed....

ANd make sure all WIndows updates are downloaded/applied, they can wreak havoc on usage as well....and for many, many hours depending on your connection speeds....

USAFRet

Illustrious

Disk usage is high, because that's what your AV is doing...scanning the drive.

"unins000.dat" is a typical issue of a failed install.
See here for the exact same thing with Foxit Reader
https://help.foxitsoftware.com/kb/get-an-unins000-msg-unins000-dat-error-when-run-an-uninstalling.php

pasi458

Great
Apr 13, 2018
i forgot to mention that when i installed my normal avg anti virus, chromium would magically would appear in my registry and when i delete it, it would come back and lurk there.. Also when i try to end task "Avg antimalware service", windows pops up saying access denied.

USAFRet

Illustrious

In the install of AVG, did you just accept the defaults? Click next, next, next?
Or did you read what it was doing?
Is chromium a default included thing?

Applications can't just magically appear.

pasi458

Great
Apr 13, 2018
Nope, I did a custom install and chromium doesn't come as a default package.. its an opensourced program which can get laced with viruses so im really confused as to how it manages to come back

USAFRet

Illustrious

As said...it can't just magically appear.
Something installed it.

pasi458

Great
Apr 13, 2018
one last thing im wondering about and this totally went over my mind... but i made the dban usb on my infected pc and have been using to clear my disk so is that more likely cause for why malware keeps coming back?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Almost certainly not.

pasi458

Great
Apr 13, 2018
Finished up making a new bootable usb and installed windows again.. Installation and setup went fine so i got my network setup and installed avg and then disk usage spiked to 100%, pc got unusally slow, and the same suspicious chromium appeared again in my registry.. idk if i should just give up

USAFRet

Illustrious

This has to be the result of something else you're installing.