Windows 10 > Start Menu > Folders

Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
How. New to Windows 10. I figured out how to reduce the width of it by unpinning every single thing Microsoft thought users would be interested in. But now I'm at the stage where the Start Menu is ridiculous. It used to be you could create a folder in the Start Menu, then move programs into whatever folder you wanted, but now. Why don't they want it to be user friendly!!

What I have read, and is not what I'm interested in, includes pinning programs to the Start Menu, dragging on on top of another, and that SORT OF creates a folder, but increases the width to what it was originally. It also does not reduce the overall "height" of the actual Start Menu.

I have also gone in to C > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu, and tried adding a folder there, along with in the Programs folder in that above address. I have also gone in to C > Users > UserName > AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu and tried the same thing as the previous address[es].

With every program appearing individually, the list may include hundreds of programs. Unless you can remember the exact name of every program you might need, it's illogical having them only in alphabetical order.

Please help!
Thank you!

Solution
In response to your number 1, I didn't notice anyone mention Startup, maybe I missed that post.

In response to 2, I don't think there is anything you can do to the left hand side of the Start Menu. As far as I know the left pane in the Start Menu can't be customized.

You might have to go with something like Classic Shell to emulate the Windows 7 menu.

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
The App panel of the Start Menu can be adjusted by going to the right edge of it, clicking and dragging either larger or smaller. If you go narrower, then you can use your scroll wheel to scroll down it.

Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
1. I guess I chose wrong [conversation versus not.. Still newish to Tom's Guide]. I wanted to respond to techgeek, but..
2. by width, I meant by default the Start Menu was as wide as the screen [depending on your screen I suppose]. There was so much clutter that turns out to have been pinned. I was not referring to width like one could adjust window sizes. Sorry for that confusion

Go back a few steps by unpinning everything you do not want.

You can also go into Task Manager > Startup to remove unwanted programs.

The key, for you, as I understand it is to observe what programs are appearing and then stopping/blocking/disabling unwanted programs.

And use WIN + I > Apps & Features to gain more control of what is being "offered".

Just keep some notes about what you "take out" and if you later discover some error of omission or commission - just go back and undo the matter.

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004

Are you trying to pin every program to the right hand pane of the Start Menu? My most used applications are pinned to the right pan and they are grouped into categories that make sense to me. For instance I have a group titled Useful System Utilities and in that group I have Defraggler, CCleaner, and Simple Port Tester. If I drag the Start Menu out to the right, then all my pinned programs fit into a single panel with two grouped columns that I don't have to scroll. If I shrink it to a single column, then I have to scroll that panel to get to the items at the bottom.

Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
1. Startup doesn't actually remove programs, it just disables programs from being active upon starting the computer.. Either way, this doesn't affect the appearance of the Start Menu, which is what I'm interested in.

2. I do not want to pin anything. Not one thing. I want folders as they were in previous versions of Windows. Somehow there are folders, such as Ease of Access, but those were that way when I got the computer, not something I did myself.

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
In response to your number 1, I didn't notice anyone mention Startup, maybe I missed that post.

In response to 2, I don't think there is anything you can do to the left hand side of the Start Menu. As far as I know the left pane in the Start Menu can't be customized.

You might have to go with something like Classic Shell to emulate the Windows 7 menu.

Solution

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Have a look at the following link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/197836/8-ways-to-customize-the-windows-10-start-menu/

Pay particular attention to the Organize, Edit, Delete, or Add New Items to the Apps List section. You can create your own folders (meaningful to you) and then drop the folders and links to what you want in that folder. It'll still group them in alphabetical order, but your apps and folders will be grouped in groups that you prefer.