Status
Not open for further replies.

Phsyrik

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
My windows 10 reset has been stuck at 3% for four hours now. Any suggestions on what to do? And what would happen if I manually shut off the computer?

(Windows Logo
Spinning dots
Resetting this PC 3% (it's been at 3% all morning))

Solution
Okay folks, this isn't a 'bitch' thread. Just posting you have 'issues' doesn't mean much if your system is infected with Malware or your drivers are out of date or you never really did ALL the patches, etc. Here are the "BASICS" you should do BEFORE you upgrade AND should perform monthly to 'maintain' (just like Oil in the car and maintaining it) your computer effectively

Did you install all Windows Updates? Including OPTIONAL except BING? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.

Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update

Go to www.filehippo.com, download Malwarebytes, go to CUSTOM Scan and set it to do a full system scan (by DEFAULT IT DOESN"T DO...
It may evoke a repair. #1 issue for failure to upgrade will be if your Profile / key files are NOT on your C Drive (i.e. have a SSD + HDD and keep your profile on the D: drive). If you have issues call Microsoft or the computer maker you bought the computer from (HP, Dell, etc.) for support.

REMEMBER OVER BILLION COPIES OF WINDOWS ARE TRYING TO DO THE SAME THING SO BE PATIENT THERE WILL BE HICCUPS.

mirror_truth

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015

Hey, so I seem to be stuck in the same position, except I'm struck at 43%. And I did have an SSD + HDD setup on my PC, with my account folders on the HDD.

I tried 'Reset My PC' after upgrading to Windows 10 with no issues, but that stalled at 1%. Then I created a bootable USB with the Windows 10 ISO, and I did the repair option, but now I'm struck at 43%.

Is there anything I can do?

SanteriAT

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

I have the ame problem but withput the percentage shown. For me, manually shutting the computer didn't do any harm, but it didn't solve the problem either...

Okay folks, this isn't a 'bitch' thread. Just posting you have 'issues' doesn't mean much if your system is infected with Malware or your drivers are out of date or you never really did ALL the patches, etc. Here are the "BASICS" you should do BEFORE you upgrade AND should perform monthly to 'maintain' (just like Oil in the car and maintaining it) your computer effectively

Did you install all Windows Updates? Including OPTIONAL except BING? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.

Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update

Go to www.filehippo.com, download Malwarebytes, go to CUSTOM Scan and set it to do a full system scan (by DEFAULT IT DOESN"T DO THAT, and AntiVirus doesn't pick up alot of malware) - this resolved almost ALL other similiar posts to date as most had Malware the AV didn't pick up.

Remove whatever AV your using and download AVIRA, AVG, Comodo or Panda go to CUSTOM Scan and set it to do a full system scan (by DEFAULT IT DOESN"T DO THAT) - this repeatedly has resolved alot of people issue relying on MS Essentials.

Repeat the AV/Malware scans till the system comes up clean.

Download AUTORUNS and turn off anything NOT critical on startup, so you don't need to run JAVAScheduler to check for Java updates everytime you start your computer for example. BE CAREFUL AND KNOW WHAT YOUR TURNING OFF BEFORE YOU DO IT.

Open Computer, Can Air dust out the bunnies and use paint brush on the vents, coolers, fans, etc.

OPEN A NEW THREAD with this CHECK LIST and Download and run SPECCY, copy and paste the first tab to show your idle temps.
Go through and provide a response on each point, don't SKIP IT because "I ALREADY DID IT" , just try doing it again as of THIS post so we know NOW what is happening as compared to BEFORE you posted.

If AFTER EVERY STEP IS COMPLETED ((NOOOOO SKIPPING!!!))

Then a simply search Google and right off the first two links directly from Microsoft address many OTHER issues.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=windows+10+install+problems&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

You are ON YOUR OWN unless you want to pay someone to do this for you, which it be cheaper for most "I just need to type letters / surf websites" types to then to just head to Walmart and grab a NEW Laptop for only $199 as compared to $129 just to LOOK at your PC, and not even WORK on it yet with all the steps I basically outlined first (even if you SAY you did it, it is a STANDARD charge).

Solution

benno7486

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015
Help, My reinstall is stuck at 2% and I can try install from a USB because it will ask for my product key and I forgot to get my win 10 pro one off before I started reset. What should I do

Benno: If this is a NEW Windows 8 Computer, then the Product Key is embedded in the BIOS called UEFI. That holds the 'hardware key' that specifies your hardware to Microsoft. IF your trying to UPGRADE, then you need to get your copy of your SYSTEM RESTORE DVDs out you got with the computer and install those clean first (yes you lose all games, programs, files, etc. at this point), THEN once that is done, go ahead and do the outstanding 400 updates (since W8 was released) THEN you will be 'compatible' for a Windows 10 upgrade again.

IF you do NOT have your SYSTEM RESTORE DVDs, you need to contact whom made the computer (i.e. Dell, HP, etc.) provide the serial number on the case sticker to them, and they can validate your purchase to offer a DISCOUNT copy to be sent to you (YES YOU HAVE TO PAY).

IF ANY of this is too complicated / over your head, then the 'cheapest' easiest solution is to donate this now 'broken' PC, go to Walmart, but a brand new Laptop for only $199 and you will be up and running in minutes. To get 'someone to look at it' for you, GeekSquad for example charged $150 JUST TO LOOK and run the RESTORE DVD YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE. Computers are 'disposable' now, like cell phones, as you can see by the pricing.

rundickrun

Estimable
May 21, 2015

Umm no way. The 'cheapest' way would be to say forget Windows with your 'broken PC', wipe the hard drive and install Linux on it for free. I've did it on several PCs and only wound up here reading this jibber jabber because I have a brand new 'broken' PC that I bought second hand from somebody because I was sure I could fix it one way or another. Stuck at HP splash screen and won't go past 1% when you try to reset and get rid of all files. I'm bout to yank the hard drive out. I'm done looking at it...

Porboy

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016
I was having an issue with desktop not being able to restart. Circle would spin and stop. Had to power off by a Hard shut down. Read everything I could find on the web. Unplugged all the USB devices - did not work, finally uninstalled Windows 10 updates. Then it wouldn't even boot. I had done a full disk image before I started all the attempts to fix. After doing a full restore and by doing so the Boot portion of the hard drive was over written. To my surprise, with a complete image restore the desktop reboots without any issue. I have to guess the boot files were corrupted some how.

WCruz82

Commendable
May 26, 2016
Look guys, I did The free upgrade on my pc from windows 7 Home Premium. I wanted to get rid of the "windows.old" file and Disk Cleanup was not helping. So I went to the settings recovery tool and tried to wipe it clean that way "saving nothing" option was not working for me. So I shut it down and on restart got myself into boot options and selected recovry or fix (you get the point) now it gave me the option to do a quick revover just wiping my files etc... (suggested if your keeping the pc) and it gave me the option for a full wipe of the C drive (which it said could take hours) i chose the complete wipr. my pc stalled out at 34% for like an hour and a half. i almost gave up but i waited even longer.... all of a sudden, it starts moving again, its going sloooooow, but windows had already advised me it can take hours to finish, not seconds, not minutes, IT SAID HOURS... so my suggestion is BE PATIENT... let your machine do its job, if you have to walk away from it for a day, do so!!!!

Mandango

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

Thank you for your response, you save me 46 hours... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.