Windows 7 Laptop/Tablet for studies

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hello everyone,
Am looking for a tablet/laptop PC with pen input for studies. Need a cheep and cheerful. Lenovo Classmate+ more than describes what I need, pity though it's unavailable in Ireland.

Any recommendations welcome. Thank you.

p.s. looking for a quality one, never mind specs as long as it's reasonable. ACER is a no no.

Solution
Acer has made some great products over the last 2-3 years, I would give them another look.

Look into the ASUS netbooks with touch input. I have one that I am using win8Dev on and it works great! Can't wait to see how it works with Beta at the end of the month.

If you can wait until this summer or fall then I would. When win8 comes out in august it will be a huge game changer for any devices with touch inputs. After that it is a decision of having an x86 platform which will support older programs, or moving to ARM which is new to the PC market but quickly growing a following. Personally I would do Windows 8 tablet or net/notebook, 4+GB of Ram, SSD if affordable, and some sort of docking feature so that you can hook it up to a real...

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Acer has made some great products over the last 2-3 years, I would give them another look.

Look into the ASUS netbooks with touch input. I have one that I am using win8Dev on and it works great! Can't wait to see how it works with Beta at the end of the month.

If you can wait until this summer or fall then I would. When win8 comes out in august it will be a huge game changer for any devices with touch inputs. After that it is a decision of having an x86 platform which will support older programs, or moving to ARM which is new to the PC market but quickly growing a following. Personally I would do Windows 8 tablet or net/notebook, 4+GB of Ram, SSD if affordable, and some sort of docking feature so that you can hook it up to a real keyboard mouse and monitor. Most of the hardware that will be coming with the new win8 should have enough kick to do light gaming, work, and full HD video output (some through widi woot!) and would be perfect for your needs. Expect prices to start at $800 when they come out in August, but to quickly drop to ~$500 for a decent quality device.

Best of luck!

Solution

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

You are right regarding the Windows 8. I am surprised and disappointed though that there are no PCs on the market that are capable of this (for below 500 $/€). Lenovo has nice machines for €350 that are powerful enough but.. No intention for pen/touch unless you want to go for X1 for around 1000 $/€.