Windows 7 Release Candidate: Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Mike Nash: It's your PC. if you don't want pop-ups showing up on screen, you should be able to turn off the ones you don't want and turn on the ones you do without having a Masters degree in Computing.

In Vista we introduced a new feature called UAC that has significant effect on reducing the ability of malware to run but we had feedback saying that we were popping up and asking the user to make decisions of trust without giving the context. Because it's your computer we allow the user to reduce the frequency with which you’re being asked.

I would really like to see the part where
It's your PC. if you don't want pop-ups showing up on screen, you should be able to turn off the ones you don't want and turn on the ones you do without having a Masters degree in Computing.
is in Windows 7, because the UAC setting does not give me anywhere near this amount of control. If it did, I would be as happy with Windows 7 as all of the Windows 7 lovers out there. As it stands, I have not found the setting for individual programs or prgram groups that tells Windows 7 not to give me a pop-up "are you sure?".

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I've been a beta tester for both Windows Vista and Windows 7, and all I can say is that W7 beta was a very high quality product, above what one can expect from a beta product (especially a windows beta). Aside from some minor annoyances like Daemons Tools only released a Win7 compatible version recently, everything went smooth.

Can't wait for RC to see how it feels and behaves.

First windows version that didn't made me feel sorry for uninstalling XP, actually quite the opposite ;).

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
I don't think most end users will ever get into the control panel. It’s a more advanced user feature but if the advanced user wants to change it, it’s their PC and we have to make sure they can.
Finally, confirmation that I am Advanced ;) lol

I can hardly wait to try this new version and find out what all I can do with it that I couldn't do with XP/Vista. It's like going to a new amusment park. hehe

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Quote: "Mike Nash: As of January, 95% of our customers had 100% of their devices working just fine on Windows Vista – we know that from our telemetry. When you look at that 5%, most of what’s in there is one or so devices per machine like a very old scanner using a deprecated interface."

This FLOORS me, and parallels my experience, as well as that of those I know that have Windows 7. All the Mac ads really pissed MS off, I think. Plus they are really responding to customer feedback from Vista. I'm a happy Vista 64 bit user, and I like my OSX laptop for school purposes, but I think Windows 7 is by far the finest OS we've seen anyone come out with in years. Vista was a necessary stepping stone. The XP setup was growing long in the tooth, and its base security wasn't up to par with modern threats without constant and belabored patching. Windows needed an overhaul, and Vista was that, and despite the growing pains it was the bridge that got us to the much more polished Windows 7.

Also, OSX stopped supporting OS9 a long time ago, and here we have Microsoft going back in time just to make XP users happy, and help accommodate our older applications and games. They are really listening to all of us this time, and I am beyond impressed. I will definitely be buying my copy of Windows 7 business/ultimate when it comes out a la OEM version, provided pricing is similar to that which Vista has had.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
I wonder what apple has in mind, Im sure they know this will rip them apart.

-im a total mac hater

Just saying, i wonder what kinda os improvements apple will try to make to counter attack windows 7. They always suprise you, they dont say anything about new release, just boom, hey we have a new OS and iPhone.

So apple, what can you tell me about with the new iPhone, lots of users would like to know, any release date or specs?
Apple: well your just going to have to find out in the future, i cant give you any info that might save you money from buying a different phone cuz you dont know when the hell our new iphone is coming out.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I'm excited about Windows 7 RC. It should be waiting for me when I get into the office, and then I can build my new system.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Ha.
2 Gigabytes RAM minimum for 64 bit.
I have 1 gig, with my video card stealing 256, leaving me with 768 megabytes, and I'm running the 64-bit.
Also only have a Pentium D 2.8GHz.
I run it perfectly smooth, and the only game I can't play is Crysis-Warhead (it likes my RAM too much, though I could play it in XP).
Oblivion on high, Fallout 3 on high... running only a ATi 4670.

So what's this 2 gig for 64bit minimum crap?

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Their is one out there, I can't remember the name of the emulator though. Do a quick google search, I found one and was using it. I am back on Vista but, will probably switch tonight back to 7 now the RC is here.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
" As long as I’ve set up my laptop to be part of the network
in my house I can be sitting in a hotel across the country and browsing to and accessing video content, recorded TV and music on my laptop"

Does this mean that I will have access to my 5 TB media center? If so, a week at the inlaws (23 cable channels) won't seem so bad.

Slingbox might be pissed just as Partition Magic was pissed a few years back.

I just changed my mind and will be buying Win 7 for my 3 machines at home.

Sigh!!! I really thought that I was going to skip 7.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I do have to say, based on the most recent Beta, I'm really concerned that they have an RC coming out so quickly. I personally don't think it's quite ready, but I'll be happily surprised if it is.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]quantumrand[/nom]I personally don't think it's quite ready, but I'll be happily surprised if it is.[/citation]It is quite ready. I've had only a few issues with 7, being Nokia PC Suite (newer version works) and Priston Tale 2 (beta). Everything else is working flawlessly.

Oh, btw, JungleFlasher doesn't work either. I wonder why. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.