Windows 7 Will Not Update on a Clean Install on an Acer Aspire One 722

Brad T

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
Hello, I have an Acer Aspire One 722 - A0722 - 64-Bit - I used the notebook and installed Windows 10 on it and it came to a crawl. I decided to reset the computer to factory settings. It was successful, however, I cannot install any updates from Windows. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1.

I tried to install updates the first time with no luck and tried every solution I could find online. I searched through forum after forum and tried every solution I could find and no luck. I installed many downloads, as recommended from Microsoft, and no solutions. I only eventually got to error codes such as 8008005 and 0x8024402C and 0x8024001e. I again tried solutions and nothing worked. Most of the downloads I did were from herre: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows.aspx

I did eventually install CCleaner and updated to Explorer 11 which I downloaded directly from the Microsoft website. That was successful. Nothing else was.

So, I wiped the computer out again and reset it back to factory settings and am back to square one. I have installed NOTHING else to this point expect to try Windows Updates. All I get is the progress monitor to continue to run. It has been "running" and searching for any updates for almost 30 hours now and nothing. It still reads "Checking for Updates" and nothing else.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't know what else to try. This seems to be a somewhat common problem with no real solution at this point as my Google search has told me.

Two screen shots are below. Thank you for any help or advice. At this point the computer is basically unusable and this is very frustrating. I have spend hours and hours and hour and nothing.

Thank you all and be well. Brad

Solution
First install new update agent. (win 7 64b)
Install manual install of NETframework 4.6.1
Later check in services if BITS is running.

SVCHOST.EXE being run by SYSTEM that is using 50% or more CPU and a huge chunk (73%) of memory. So, go to Windows Update in Control Panel and tell it to never look for updates.
Then back to Task Manager and KILL (stop) the big fat 50% process you just found.

MS has produced a fix (2 KB patches) that you cannot ordinarily get to without an update. There is a way to download those 2 KB files, butthen...
You cannot ordinarily install them without using WUSA (the Windows Update Stand-Alone installer). And if you try to use it to install the fixes, WUSA will first begin another 48 hour search for updates...

Brad T

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

Hello, I had 10 installed for about a year. I reinstalled the OS from a partition on the computer.

UPDATE! I got it to work!!!! As I was typing this, it finally took. The solution was:

First you need to dl this update https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?i... this is for 64 bit, before you run this you need to disconnect your wifi, and LAN and un-click the box in you internet settings where is will automatically connect when windows starts, then restart you PC. Once its back up and running, run the update your just DL(make sure not to connect to internet until update has finished . Now that you have that done you should update the updater here is the link for the DL https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/949104. Now when this is done reboot your PC and goto update and this time it should find updates, still may take a little time, but usually get fist couple in 10-15 mins.

Mine took over an hour to search, but finally it is downloading and installing updates!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
interesting ,

well glad you got it working anyway. win 7 update is totally FUBAR and i'm pretty sure MS did it on purpose just to try and bully more people into moving to win 10. i have no hopes of it ever working correctly again.

Brad T

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

I agree!!!!! I think the difference here was disabling the Internet so it could not connect during the installation of both downloads. I downloaded them from my desktop onto a thumbdrive and then installed them one a time, each time rebooting. It worked.

I wish Windows 10 worked, but it made my Acer come to an almost crawl. I could not take it anymore.

Thanks again and be well.

Brad

Brad T

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

Agree. It all makes no sense. All the best.....Be well. Brad

sn2112

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
First install new update agent. (win 7 64b)
Install manual install of NETframework 4.6.1
Later check in services if BITS is running.

SVCHOST.EXE being run by SYSTEM that is using 50% or more CPU and a huge chunk (73%) of memory. So, go to Windows Update in Control Panel and tell it to never look for updates.
Then back to Task Manager and KILL (stop) the big fat 50% process you just found.

MS has produced a fix (2 KB patches) that you cannot ordinarily get to without an update. There is a way to download those 2 KB files, butthen...
You cannot ordinarily install them without using WUSA (the Windows Update Stand-Alone installer). And if you try to use it to install the fixes, WUSA will first begin another 48 hour search for updates before installing anything. This is a circular trap !

1. Go to the following link to download Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64.msu
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?i...
Use the SAVE option, DO NOT RUN IT!

2. Go to the following link to download Windows6.1-KB3112343-x64.msu
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?i...
Use the SAVE option, DO NOT RUN IT!

3. Look for these two files in your DOWNLOADS folder. Copy them to your DESKTOP.
Now to install them, you must use the StandAlone installer, WUSA, BUTyou must FORCE IT to simply do it without searching forever. Here is how:

First, copy the following line exactly and completely:
4. "C:\Users\Edmund\Desktop\windows6.1-kb3102810-x64.msu" /wuforce
Note that EDMUND is your Log in NAME that you have. (admin)

5. Click the Start (Globe);

6. Click in the Search Programs And Files box;

7. Type: RUN

(make sure you are running as Administrator)

8. Click on the RUN at the top, then Right Click on it, and select PASTE;

9. Change the Edmund to whatever your USER name is;

10. Hit ENTER and let it roll. After the install is done, then...

Copy the following line exactly:

11. "C:\Users\Edmund\Desktop\windows6.1-kb3112343-x64.msu" /wuforce

12. Click the Start Globe;

13. Click in the Search Programs And Files box;

14. Type: RUN
(make sure you are running as Administrator)

15. Click on the RUN at the top, then Right Click on it, and select PASTE;

16. Change the Edmund to whatever your USER name is;

17. Hit ENTER and let it roll again. After that install is done, RESTART your computer.

You should now be able to setup the UPDATEs in Control Panel and Search For Updates. Within about 10 minutes or less, you should have a huge list of KBs to download and install. Sometimes this will take time,but if the Manual KB install works, so should the search for updates.. let it sit while you go to bed. Be sure to turn OFF power saving items such as shut down to NEVER in control panel. I set mine to notify of found updates. You may need to RESTART BITS in services. !!!!!

Solution

Brad T

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

Thank you. Much appreciated. Be well.

Brad T

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

sn2112

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

THIS IS ANOTHER SOLUTION I HAVE FOUND TO WORK WELL..

Here is how to fix "The update is not applicable to your computer"when trying to install KB3172605 (which is the real fix).
I too got this error - here is how to fix it. Essentially, you will need to install 4 seperate updates,
in this order:
KB3138612,
KB3145739,
KB3020369,
KB3172605.
That will allow Windows Update to work. Here are detailed instructions:
1. First, change your Microsoft Update setting to "Never Check for Updates" (Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update). This will help prevent the Windows Update Service from trying to run while we install all these updates. Next, reboot your computer.

2. If you've already installed update KB3135445, you need to un-install it. Go to Windows Update/Installed updates, and right click it and uninstall it. Reboot your computer.
3. Download all 4 of these from Microsoft: KB3138612, KB3145739, KB3020369, and KB3172605.
Do not install them yet.
4. Click Start, and in the search box, search for "Services" - open the one with the little cog/gear. This will open up the "Services Window".
Right click "Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)" and STOP that process.
Next, Right Click "Windows Update" service and STOP that process.
You may need to stop these processes several times - they may try to start back up. You will stop these services right before you install each one of the 4 updates, and you will do it immediately before you install each one, making sure they're stopped.
5. Install KB3138612. Reboot. Reboot again (twice).
6. Stop BITS and Windows Update in Services again. Make sure they stay stopped.
7. Install KB3145739. Reboot. Reboot again (twice).
8. Stop BITS and Windows Update in Services again. Make sure they stay stopped.
9. Install KB3020369. Reboot. Reboot again (twice).
10. Stop BITS and Windows Update in Services again. Make sure they stay stopped.
11. Install KB3172605... this time, it will work and get installed (I promise). Reboot. Reboot again (twice).
12. Change your Windows Update setting to "Download Updates but Let Me Choose to Install them", and then check for updates. It may take 5-10 minutes for it to find updates, but now it WILL WORK, and it will find updates now. Credit goes out to InfoWorld for this solution. Enjoy Windows Update now working on your computer! ~DJ?