Windows 8.1 - All Web Browsers Freezing/Unresponsive

JimUW

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
System Specs:
Windows 8.1 x64 PC
Version: 6.3.9600

Recently, within the past couple days, all of my web browsers have ceased to function. Google Chrome - Freezes generally within 30 seconds of use. Sometimes instantly freezes. Will only load some webpages during times it is not frozen these include gmail and facebook. Internet Explorer - Will not load anything but homepage, if I try and load another page the circle just keeps spinning and nothing happens. Firefox will only load my homepage and will not load other pages.

I have noticed that all three programs do NOT close completely. I have to CTL + ALT + DELETE all of them and even then usually nothing happens when I try and end the task. I have attempted several fixes. I reset my TCIP/IP, I have rebooted, rebooted in safe mode, ran multiple virus/malware scans (Sophos Security and Malwarebytes), I have tried fixes for google chrome including reinstallation and enabling/disabling extensions. Currently installed are: IE (Latest version) - No extensions or addons, Firefox (Latest) - No extensions or addons, Google Chrome(Latest) - No extensions or addons.

Note: When I ran Sophos Security it returned several errors regarding Google Chrome:

****************** Sophos Anti-Virus Log - 2/5/2015 2:17:48 AM **************

20150204 215840 Scanning "C:\Users\James\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extension State\LOCK" returned SAV Interface error 0xa0040202: Scan failed.
20150204 215845 Scanning "C:\Users\James\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Session Storage\LOCK" returned SAV Interface error 0xa0040202: Scan failed.
20150204 220015 Scanning "C:\Users\James\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Extension Settings\pafkbggdmjlpgkdkcbjmhmfcdpncadgh\LOCK" returned SAV Interface error 0xa0040202: Scan failed.

Malwarebytes came up clean.

At the moment every single other program on my computer that connects to the internet such as video games, skype, etc all work perfectly fine. However, I have zero access to web browsers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I cannot access this forum on the compute at issue.

cwlocke

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I am... or was having the exact same issue. I uninstalled Steam and restarted and chrome started working. IE did also but it took a while, I launched then waited for several minutes. Eventually IE responded that it couldn't open the page, but at least the browser didn't crash. I clicked on the home button and it loaded. I closed and reopened and it continued working.

Hopefully that helps... it was my laptop which isn't a gaming machine so I'm not too worried about not having Steam.

ambiense

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014

I tried this and it opened a box saying Windows 2000 no longer supported. Strange as I'm using W8.1 and have never had 2000 on any computer I've ever used