Windows 8.1 laptop sound problem: muffled sound when playing two things at once for one of the programs

YesMan1234

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
For some reason, my laptop decides to prioritize a sound that came first, and every other sound is muffled. For example, if I want to play music when playing a game, the music would sound really low if my game was popped open first, and vice versa. I could not find any fix on this, aside from restarting my windows sound service, which is only a temporary fix to the problem, in which the problem comes back a couple hours later.

YesMan1234

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

The sound works fine, and it's configured properly. If I play music alone, there is no problem. The problem is when I start up a second application, the second application sound is lowered so the first application was prioritized for the higher volume while the second application's sound is sorta muffled, and the volume is lower. I can't really change that and it kinda frustrates me.

Try checking in the "Volume Mixer", that could be where it is coming from. Just right click on the little speaker icon in your task bar and then click "Open Volume Mixer". You should see there the first listing to the left for the "Speaker", listed under "Devices", while you will see anything else open listed in the "Applications" section. If the volume listed there is lower than the volume for the "Speaker" then this could cause it.

YesMan1234

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

Nope, the volume listed was where it should have been.